www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 am 

I picked up a 4 bolt main Cleveland block from a friend of mine and took it and had it baked n blasted. It turns out that it's
got a lot of wear and has probably been bored at some point. Bores go from 32 to 38 over. Lot of taper. Brent and I talked about
it and I'm curious what others have been able to get away with as far as overbore on these blocks? I hate to junk it. I'm hoping it can be used.
Needs to be sonic tested.

garyv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm 

garyv wrote:
I picked up a 4 bolt main Cleveland block from a friend of mine and took it and had it baked n blasted. It turns out that it's
got a lot of wear and has probably been bored at some point. Bores go from 32 to 38 over. Lot of taper. Brent and I talked about
it and I'm curious what others have been able to get away with as far as overbore on these blocks? I hate to junk it. I'm hoping it can be used.
Needs to be sonic tested.

garyv

Sorry but it is likely junk. Heck even at a clean .030 over, C blocks are damned thin. I'm not even sure I'd spend the $ for a sonic test. If you do, have the shop 1st check #5, at the 3 o'clock position, about 1" to 3" down from the deck. Wall thickness there tells a real story!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:01 pm 

G,day,
Mine is at 4.047 at present, making approx 650hp, has been at this bore size for the last 4 years
its an old doae-l 70 0r 71 2 bolt block, has been raced at 4.040 for approx 15 years prior to that.
At 4.040 the minimum thickness anywhere was .145"

There are good blocks around, you need to look for them and sonic them, tuneup is just as important probably more so then bore thickness in making them live.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:39 am 

I appreciate the responses. I kinda figured it may not be usable. I may get a sonic and just see if it's salvageable.

garyv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:37 am 

Man if you can get the cylinders to clean up at .040 and honed to spec for your pistons I would run it. If you have to bore it to .060 then I would probably find another block. I know we all have budgets so you need to look at your reality of what you "can" and what you "want" to afford. My original '70 2 bolt block is .060 over. I have beat that engine and did all the wrong things too. First off it has cast pistons and I always shifted at 6400 rpm. It has a no oiling mods-with a solid flat cam and low oil pressure (about 10psi at idle but 40psi when hammered on). Finally I put that Crane roller rocker conversion that's only suppose to be good for .550 lift (cam is .570) and no more than 6000 rpm. My point is, will a .060 run - yes but heat control is an issue and how much longer will it live- who knows. Now my current 359C is .040. I put way more money in this one so hopefully it last forever :mrgreen:
Good luck man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 am 

Without a sonic test who knows it might be able to go 4.060 if you move the bores around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:21 am 

DaveMcLain wrote:
Without a sonic test who knows it might be able to go 4.060 if you move the bores around.

I should have added that if this is for a racer, a full-block fill would allow one to run this block and hard too! A 1/2 block fill on a C block though doesn't really work since the bore splits are almost always between the bores and some way down from the deck.