www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:16 am 

Hello,

New to the forum and wanting to get started with restoring my dad's old 1971 Cougar with the 351C engine, which runs on leaded.

I think I'll need a good bit of help, and I've been looking at some methods to change the heads (as I understand that's the main issue with using un-leaded gas).

Been looking at places like http://www.chiheads.com.au/shop/heads/4 ... cleveland/ for potential parts.

The overall idea is to get the powertrain running good, and then restore the rest of the car, inside and out.

Any advice, suggestions, etc, are all welcome. I'm new to this but want to restore a piece of my father's history, and do it justice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:46 am 

I would just reuse the factory heads and change the pistons to lower the compression ratio enough to run on today's fuel. The factory heads will amaze you in what their potential is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:52 am 

blykins wrote:
I would just reuse the factory heads and change the pistons to lower the compression ratio enough to run on today's fuel. The factory heads will amaze you in what their potential is.

As I understand it, the issue with the lead not being present is within the heads. I'd have to have a machine shop put in hardened seats in the stock heads. I'm not sure if lowering the compression circumvents this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:39 am 

Correction, just pulled the VIN (still under mom's insurance, about 3 hours away) and it's the 2V variant. Not sure what that changes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 pm 

First of all, unless you plan on putting 10k miles a year in the car, don’t worry about the leaded/unleaded gas deal.
Second, you do realize Brent builds motors for a living and isn’t going to give you bad information don’t you?
And this is my opinion, but there are a lot cheaper options out there for a street car than CHI.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:24 pm 

kv racing wrote:
First of all, unless you plan on putting 10k miles a year in the car, don’t worry about the leaded/unleaded gas deal.
Second, you do realize Brent builds motors for a living and isn’t going to give you bad information don’t you?
And this is my opinion, but there are a lot cheaper options out there for a street car than CHI.

No disrespect was meant. I'm trying to get a handle on the engine, what's possible, what isn't, etc. My questions are meant as purely that, question, because I don't know.

The intent of the response to brent was to receive clarification, as I do not understand these engines at anywhere near the level that those that frequent these forums do.

As for cheaper options, I'm all for that. This is first pass research and trying to get more knowledgeable opinions on it. I'd still like to pursue the conversion to unleaded, if nothing more than just to better understand the engine.

Appreciate your reply.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:54 pm 

You don't need hardened seats.

The 2V heads aren't bad at all, unless you have higher expectations for horsepower. If you're just looking for a nice 300-350 hp engine, then by all means, reuse what you have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 pm 

blykins wrote:
You don't need hardened seats.

The 2V heads aren't bad at all, unless you have higher expectations for horsepower. If you're just looking for a nice 300-350 hp engine, then by all means, reuse what you have.

Do I need to continue to run the additives?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm 

Nope.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm 

Your first step is to figure out what you have.

I'm not sure what shape the car is in or what your plans are for it. But if it's in fairly decent shape, and you're going to make a driver out of it, I'd stick with the 2v heads.

Yank the engine, and tear it all down. If the heads are reusable, I'd use them. Install new valves and a valve job, have brent spec you a cam and supply all related hardware, install arp nuts on the rods. Reuse the crank and rods, new flat top pistons, alloy 4bbl intake and headers and you'll have a decent setup. 350 horse is more then what most people are used to and will make a pretty sweet street car with good manners.

I had a similar engine(2v heads, headers, weiand intake, stock cam advanced) in a 73 mustang that drove around pretty well for what it was.