www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 351 C Rebuild Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 am 

Hello all, I've posted on a few forums here or there about my engine and I'm trying to get the best setup since I've never built an engine before, and have little experience when it comes to cams, pistons, rods, and all of the internals. I've got a 1970 Cougar with a 351 C 2V, FMX with a 9", and I need to rebuild and would like to upgrade. It's got stock everything, besides the oil pump, and it's all in good condition since the car wasn't run for 20 years of its life but was stored alright. I would like some help choosing parts or finding the right specs for parts since I'm new to putting it all together and making a coherent engine.

I plan on keeping the 2V heads, I'll get a 3, 5, or 7 angle valve job on them, however I was unsure of which to choose, and if a 7 angle will make that much difference over a 5. I'll be getting some single valve grooves, 2.06/1.66, and I read about doing a hardened exhaust seat, but wasn't sure.

Carb and Intake will probably be an edelbrock air gap #7564, with an edelbrock AVS2 650 electric choke.

The crank and connecting rods are stock, I'll probably magnaflux and shot-peen them.

Pistons I have no idea about, My stock ones are in fine condition and I assume I'll keep them but I haven't the slightest clue

Then for the Cam I've got a few ballpark ranges, however I know very little about choosing cams:
I plan on getting a hydraulic roller
Lift around .500
Duration around 268-280
LSA 110-114
I was told Overlap should be between 10-55 for exhaust scavenging

Then the last bit I was unsure of was a torque converter. No clue how to choose stall speed and size and all that. I'll probably be putting 3.89:1 gears in the 9".

I'd like to make around 350-400hp, more on the 350 side. The car will be a fun daily driver with enough power to have a good time, however this is my first build and all the parts and specs for parts are not something I'm too savvy with fitting all together. Any help, recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 351 C Rebuild Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:09 am 

Step one is to get the block to a machine shop and see what it needs as far as machine work. If the engine is original and hasn't been rebuilt, it will need all machine work.....at least honed, if not bored and honed, decks squared up, mains align honed. The foundation of any solid engine build is the machine work of the block. If you don't have good machine work, the rest is for naught...

I wouldn't go any further until that was done. More than likely, you will need new pistons because the cylinders will need to be bored or honed.

The same with the cylinder heads, get them to a machine shop, let the decks be surfaced, see if any guides need to be replaced, valve job, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:13 am 

If you've never built an engine before get some help from your machine shop or a buddy that knows what he is doing.
Do what Brent advised you on the block and heads.
You will probably need new pistons and they won't break the bank.
When it comes to the cam contact Brent and have him spec you one out and forget the off the shelf stuff. A custom cam is a few
bucks more and totally worth it. It will be designed around your engine components and what you intend to do with the car.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so don't be afraid to ask questions.
Good luck on your build.

garyv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17 am 

You just never know until you tear it down. Last year I had a guy bring in some parts for a 351 C 2V that he was building for a Mercury Cougar he was restoring. The parts looked great, the block didn't need to be bored and the crank was excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:59 pm 

I'll be headed to the machine shop this weekend to get and inspection/estimate. And I'll also shoot and email to Brent about a cam and lifters, as well as getting a recommendation on rockers pushrods and springs. I was told to get bronze valve guides and single groove stainless valves, I was unsure of the guides but for valves I was looking at Manley 11872-8, but I don't know all the stock dimensions I need to look out for, so if anyone has better ones or a better brand I'm all ears. Hopefully the machine shop will have a knowledgeable guy for fords and he can help push me in the right direction, along with people on here and other forums. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm 

You don’t need guides unless yours are worn. You could also do a guide liner but a full bronze guide will give you the option to run a modern valve seal.

I have both SI and Ferrea stainless valves that will be cheaper than the Manleys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 am 

Since you're doing a 2V engine a couple of areas to look at will be the rocker pedestals which are aluminum on that engine. Sometimes they are worn a lot. Also make sure that the timing set you get is not the one with 8 degrees of cam retard built in because that was used on some of those engines just like it was on the 460.