www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:55 pm 

I need a new fuel pressure regulator and gauge. I am ready to pay for one that actually works. I don't want to cheap out again. I don't have a return system on this 70 torino. I am running a stock style mechanical pump. Any recomdations? The choices are unbelievable, that a single company can have 50 or more regulators from $25 - $400. It seems like they could make 1 good product for each application.
Is it possible to find a good, accurate regulator when you don't have a return line going back to the tank?
My stock mechanical pump is putting out 8-9 lbs. I haven't been able tp pass emissions testing at idle. It passes the 2500 rpm test with flying colors and it passed the idle test early last year when my $30 holley regulator was still pretty new. It started leaking out of the main body so I removed it and the Mr Gasket gauge that was attached to it and forgot all about it until Brent reminded me to check the pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:03 pm 

Why does your stock pump put out so much pressure?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:52 pm 

Dave, I have no idea. Is that high for a stock type Ford mech. fuel pump? Its not the original but I don't think its anything special. My gas lines are 3/8 iner diameter. Fuel pressure was never a thing until I installed the quick fuel carb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:58 pm 

barnfind wrote:
Dave, I have no idea. Is that high for a stock type Ford mech. fuel pump? Its not the original but I don't think its anything special. My gas lines are 3/8 iner diameter. Fuel pressure was never a thing until I installed the quick fuel carb.

I don't know. I ran a Holley carburetor as well as a Carter Thermoquad on my Cleveland with a stock fuel pump for many years with no problem but I never checked the fuel pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:04 pm 

barnfind

I run this regulator https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/q ... /overview/

and this gauge https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/s ... /overview/

no complaints yet.

I am curious though, why do you have to pass an emissions test when your car should be emissions exempt? You should only have to pass a safety test - i guess unless you live in California. That state has its own set of rules :roll:

-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 pm 

This last year they dropped the requirement for a safety test but vehicles 67 or newer still have to pass an emissions test here in Salt Lake County I passed it last year after turning the idle mixture screws in a little but couldn't get it to idle consistently under the max. this year.Im not sure if I still had the pressure regulator on it when I tested last year. The guy at the emissions test site let me adjust my carb for 30 minutes with the probe in the tailpipe and I still couldn't get it to pass at an idle. It passed with no problem at 2500 RPM. Thanks Nova for the recomendations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 am 

You should not need a regulator on a stock pump. The one linked above is same/similar to the Holley companion to a 110 GPH pump. You can run it, but don't expect much for $30. Do a search for fuel pressure regulators on Summit and sort price low to high - you'll see that same regulator at near that price point from everybody. It's the same cheap-azz regulator in a different package. I typically use Aeromotive and have had good luck with their parts. I've also run Mallory units.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13201

As for the gauge, those are junk. If you want one that works, you buy a Autometer at least 2 1/16". Before you hack all that up, I'd just buy a fuel pressure test gauge and use a T in the line to check the pressure. Good regulators don't creep - set it and check it again in a year, no need for a gauge.