www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 am 

I have some 2006 vintage CHI 2V 60cc chamber aluminum heads.

These were on my Cleveland that sat in storage for too long. Ended up breaking the motor back down, making a cam and lifter change, lowered the static compression ratio down to 10.95:1, and pulled the heads apart to go with beehives, clean & check them.

I put the heads in the parts washer, and 20 min later when I rinsed them off I about barfed in my mouth. There is a crack in every single intake runner where the valve guide penetrates the cast blade protrusion. I have had a couple local guys look at them, one was for leaving the ones with a single radial cracks alone, and possibly removing material from the ones that have 2 or three radial cracks to eliminate the possibility of eating a small chunk of aluminum. The other opinion was to get in there and remove the material on all intake ports.

I contacted CHI and asked for advice. They suggested trying to remove any loose parts on the ones with multiple radial fractures & running them.

What would you do & why? I have no expertise in this, but I'd like to not take this engine apart again anytime soon... One of the members on a mustang forum I frequent suggested I ask the question here.

Thanks for your time,

Attachment:
IMG_5166.jpeg [72.63 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
IMG_5170.jpeg [52.79 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:52 am 

To be honest, I'd remove any "loose" pieces and run it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:32 am 

+1 I have original Ford manufactured aluminum heads and there isn't any material "surrounding" the guide as it protrudes int the bowl. The important part is removing ALL of the cracks / cracked area.
Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:38 pm 

I didn't have any cracks in mine but I can say after the last head rework all of that part of the head is gone and never to return.
Did not look like it was needed to start with...
Will try to pull up some photos if possible.....
What is not there cant fall off....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:49 pm 

blykins wrote:
To be honest, I'd remove any "loose" pieces and run it.

That. Had some iron heads with that issue, just ground off the extra meat and the protruding part of the bronze guide and went on. If you feel the need for a longer valve guide to support the valve stem then replace the guide with a longer part.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:23 pm 

I took a pick to them today, none of the broken sections are loose. I want to take a borescope or a dental mirror to them and double check.

The problem I have with dressing them up a bit is that I need to find someone skilled & steady to attack them. If anyone knows of someone within a couple hundred miles of Medford Oregon feel free to toss out a name or three.

Thanks again,
Peter