www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New best 1/8 mile times
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 pm 

Took my Cougar to the Denton track yesterday on 4/20. I switched from the M/T 26x10.5x15 ET STREET tires to Hoosier Quick Time Pro 27x11.5x15. Last year at Ennis (1/4 mile) the 1/8 times were in the 1.75 60ft area. All 4 runs were 7.4x at 93mph. So yesterday my second run with 16psi was a 1.65 60ft 7.24@95mph. 3rd with 15psi run was 1.65 60ft 7.26@94.70 . I think my car still likes Hoosiers better than M/T. I'm still running the 3000 stall. Can't wait to see what happens with the 5000 stall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:58 am 

Cool.
I would venture to guess if it still hooks decent it will run at least in the 6.90s with the looser converter.
For comparison sake, our "street" car will go mid 1.60's sixty foot as well but is using a 4800 stall race converter. BUT, it doesnt make near as much power as your car and only runs 7.50-7.60s at 88-89 mph.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:06 pm 

Thanks man. Well one of my buddies that made it got ok video from the stands. This was his 1st time ever at a race track and he did the record video vertical instead of horizontal. I finally got it straightened out.

Here is the 2nd run against a Vette with a 400sbc, 245cc cylinder heads, 3800 stall 4.11 gears and he shifts at 7200. I shift at 6600. He 60ft me a little and gapped me but I closed that gap. the times are in the video description. With nitrous, this Vette ran a 6.2 and on his 2nd pass with Nos he broke both half shafts on the launch.
https://youtu.be/bkazQgaKZKU

My 3rd run of the night against my step-dads supercharged 300 cube stroker 2010 Mustang. His put 500hp/495tq at the wheels. Automatic with 2600 stall M/T drag radials. He just leaves it in drive for burnouts and racing.
https://youtu.be/mkc6cyyPK_E

we were going for another run against each other but on our way to the staging lanes, a 73 year old lady was racing her daily driven Lexus and never hit the brakes. She went through the safety net that’s connected to 2 1000 lb tires, through the sand pit, through the tire wall and through the metal 6" pipe fence . flipped over and was up side down. Paramedics said the air bags did their job and she only had cuts on her left hand from the glass. So they closed the track 1 hr early but at least I got 3 runs instead of only 1 run like last year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:57 pm 

Hoosiers IMHO like 16 PSI have run them on both cars and best 60', etc was at 16. I switched from M/T to Hoosier and have done well. Nice passes. Debbie's car was running 7.39~7.40 @ 91 yesterday. That was in time trials - during the race, the time slips showed she never finished over 88 MPH because she spent the whole day riding the brake across the finish like. "Fish in a barrel" is the way she put it. :lol:

60' was 1.60~1.62 all day - 351C, decent hydro roller, 4600+ stall converter, 4.56 gear, 28" Hoosier drag slicks. She shifts 6200~6400. The 302 in the Falcon has a 4000 stall and the bitty 302 will hit 1.68~1.70 60' when the car is running right.

There is no way in hell a Lexus - or much of anything else - should have made it through a properly prepared sand pit. I can pretty much guarantee you won't get through ours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm 

Your right Chris, but here's what happened. My stepdad and I walked all the way down where the shit hit the fan. The EMT's at the end of the track said she blew by them and never hit the brakes. When they asked her what happened she said "I just kept following the lights". Now you have been to Denton so you know after the traps there are no lights really. It sucks for lighting. The lights she was looking at were the go kart track lights. They were racing all night too. So basically she got tunnel vision and kept her foot on the floor until the unfortunate happened. Crazy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm 

Others input.
So I was looking at these videos vs some of my old videos with the less powerful engine. In the car it feels like it digs real good but then feels like the front end sets down to fast. Now my shocks I bought 14 years ago. They are non adjustable Lakewoods. 90/10 and 50/50. Looking at these videos, does anyone else see what I'm seeing? The engine works flawless, no feel in loss of power or stumbling or anything. Everyone's thoughts?

Old run at a crap ass track called Parie Hill. There was an uneven spot at the stage lane so the car dips a little but the front end seems to stay up right
https://youtu.be/RzuWc5yj2Bw

A better shot at Ennis with old motor.
https://youtu.be/ai3BRz67qug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:43 am 

nova467spanker wrote:
Your right Chris, but here's what happened. My stepdad and I walked all the way down where the shit hit the fan. The EMT's at the end of the track said she blew by them and never hit the brakes. When they asked her what happened she said "I just kept following the lights". Now you have been to Denton so you know after the traps there are no lights really. It sucks for lighting. The lights she was looking at were the go kart track lights. They were racing all night too. So basically she got tunnel vision and kept her foot on the floor until the unfortunate happened. Crazy!!!

Her speed should not matter - our pit can stop a 150 MPH+ car no problem. We have TD cars running brackets going 160+ so it's set up for that. You can't hardly get through it even with the big tractor. Closest thing to it would be the sand at Huntington Beach but I'm sure ours is deeper. The only person that missed the pit was a fluke deal years ago where the tire side walls were not in place and the car clipped the corner of the pit, went between two fence posts, missed a small tree and landed in a creek at about 90+ MPH. The driver passed away around the finish line and never lifted, the car took some magical tact that would have been hard to do even if someone had been trying. Improvements were made after using large tire sidewalls and more/wider pit to direct any run away car into the pit. IMHO She should have been stopped up to the axles in a short distance from where she left the track.

Wall Dragway used to have a "pit" - lots of people ended up in the cotton field anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am 

More OT LOL - The Mustang was running 7.39 @ 91 MPH this last weekend. That's with the slapped on 2V Funnelweb sitting on the stuffed 4V heads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:52 pm 

I agree with you Chris. Denton really needs to work on the back half of the Track. No lights really make I hard on the return too.

So what are your thoughts on my new videos vs old videos in regards to my front end? In the run vs my stepdads Mustang, I really think it pulled the wheels off the ground. I wonder if this is causing the sudden front end drop or maybe the shocks?
I'm thinking of getting the Calvert adjustable front and rear shocks. Any thoughts on theirs or other brands? My Lakewoods have always worked well but I think they are just worn out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:56 pm 

Wall was like that - once you cross the finish you best have a flashlight or headlights to follow the winding return road that ran back behind the spectator side bleachers. Or go run at Hobbs at night - only guide back to civilization last time we ran there was a single light bulb on the timing shack, way the hell over "there". Don't miss the last turn off - they'll keep sending cars because you're out of sight.

Can't tell much from the vid. Mine hops and drops, thats normal IMHO based on not having the kind of power that will carry the nose out more than a foot or so. The CE shocks we use on the cars here have extensions on the bottom where it meets the spring saddle to make sure they don't top out on extension. I run Ranchos in the rear from Calvert, set on pretty stiff. Like 7 or 8. I'd have to look, once set I don't adjust - like don't adjust for years.