www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm 

Went by the track today and picked up 5 gallons of VP M1 for testing. Klotz on the way from Summit. I finally got to the "what the hell" stage - put the carb on, put the fuel in and light it. If it doesn't work right, pump it out and put the VP 110 back in it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Way to go!
Run the klotz at 1/2 what it says on the bottle, ie half a bottle per 205L drum
Set up right you'll love alcohol☺
Keen to see how it goes.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 pm 

Yeah, if it's right, you'll love it. I'm also interested to see how the car will react to it.

FYI, I've always ran the Klotz per the directions and never had any issues. I did have some problems with a couple of other brands of top lube though, mostly when it would get cold. But I doubt if Texas will have that issue. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:46 pm 

The forecast for today wasnt very good, but the track gave it a valiant effort. The experts were calling for rain to start early afternoon. The track decided to cancel their pro mod show since they couldnt get a full field to commit, but keep the starting time the same (2 hours earlier than normal.) And to try and beat the rain, they gave us one time run and we went racing. My first pass was not a good one. The light was good, .010, but it stumbled with the front wheels up and only managed to go 6.379, (I was expecting it to go 6.34-.35 as the air was HORRIBLE for us.... 3300ft corrected DA, 72* dew point) So for first round, I dialed it 6.35 and caught a break when my guy went .006 red.... TIME RUN! :mrgreen:
I was .012, but broke out with a 6.332. Doesnt matter, he redlit first. Second round, dialed it 6.33, and both of us were late. I was .042 to his .039. But I ran closer than he did for the W. We got part way thru third round and it started to rain. That was actually good for me as I had just lost 3rd round. I was .0001, but it wouldnt run the number. I hung around while it rained, it stopped, they waited a bit, then called the race. There as a big mess behind what had just fell and they knew they couldnt get the track dry before it started raining again. So they reverted back to second round winners and split the purse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm 

So I got to thinking, maybe my tires are part of the inconsistency issue. I looked back and realized this set of slicks went on the car July 2015. They only have 121 passes on them, but the car sits outside 24/7, so I'm not real sure the number of passes really matters versus how old they are with all that sun exposure.
I guess I need to buy a new set before those three 20K to win races I already entered for Labor Day weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm 

Well, the methanol thing so far has been "much ado about nothing". I did manage to get to it. Bolted on the carb, ran some fuel through it, fixed the small leaks - mostly where the Jegs feed pipes thread into the bowls. Took a bit of TFE on the threads to seal them up. Activated both squirters, hit the start and it fired right up. Tweaked the idle mix a little, all 4 are out about 1 3/4. My guy says he sets the idle so there is no stumble, no other science to it. I set the idle speed about 1200ish. Crafted the hillbilly leanout using 9' of 5/16 fuel hose and a 1/8 pipe gate valve. Works. No problem getting heat in the motor, takes a bit longer than with gas for sure. When all done I used the lean out to get it up close to 200F and shut off the pump, then lightly sprayed the carb with the shut down spray as it ran out of fuel. Came out Sunday afternoon, ran the pump to fill the bowls, shut that off, one pump of the throttle, crank and fired. Warmed, shutdown - ready to load up I think. See how it runs on Friday. Used almost 2 gallons messing around - goes quick LOL.

Mix per the Klotz bottle came to 2.5 oz/5 gallon jug. I have some nice small measuring cups from the paint store that made that easy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 pm 

Definitely let us know how it does.

Last night, one of the local parts places put up 500 bucks for a gamblers race during test n tune with the entry in to the gambler's race being your test n tune fee (essentially a free gambler's race.)
Since my slicks are shot and apperantly no one wants to ship me any, I decided to see if I could alter things up a bit and make the car work.
I made my first pass like normal. I was expecting a 6.34 out of it, and it went 6.352 @ 107. Ok, I know what it should be doing. Now lets try this;
turn the shift point down from 7600 to 5600. Since my converter stalls 6000, I was fully expecting it to shift before it ever moved 5 feet. Well, it moved about 10 feet before it shifted, and the wheels were in the air. 1.58 sixty foot, 6.852 @ 104.5 mph. Ok, let it coold off, then see if it will repeat. 6.858 @ 104.2 mph. Cool, it repeats, now on to the gambler's race. I dialed 6.85. Got lined up with a guy dialed 6.61 or something. I left, he left, we got to about 3/4 track and not only was he not next to me, but I was pulling away. I dropped the nose early killing 11 mph, and still managed to break out .010. But he broke out .018 trying to catch me. Holy crap! It picked up .08 at halftrack. Uh oh, now what do I do. I told my better half there was no way I could dial it down 8 numbers and feel good about it. Then they called out the bye for the next round (best winning reaction time), and it was me. Cool. I dialed it 6.80 and hoped I was going to get to use the bye run. FYI, up to this point my lights were -.011, .007, .014, 1st rnd .010.
I got lucky and got to use my bye run; .010 light, 6.77 @ 104.8 mph with a 1.51 sixty foot.
Ok, this is kinda cool other than it's using 1st gear a little more than I really wanted it to. Oh well, on to third round. At this point I was barely doing any burnout, and letting my tire pressure grow figuring with no harder than it was leaving it wasnt a big deal. Yeah, that was the wrong thinking. Third round, dialed it 6.77, left the box alone (still), and lined up with a guy dialed 5.79. I did less burnout (honestly, I dont even know if the tires smoked at all), staged, the car left, the car set the front end down and it bounced (like it had done all day), and started to spin (did I mention at this point it's about 9 pm and the humidity is about 275% and everything is soaking wet?). And it kept spinning. The back end started to sashay back and forth, and the tires were unloading and loading making the rpms flare up all the way down the track. At one point I was convinced I was going to crash the car. I managed to keep it in my lane, but all it could muster was a 6.86 with a 1.58 sixty foot. Oh yeah, I was .005 to his .049. If it would have run even remotely close, I should have had him covered.
So now at this point I'm not sure if I'm going to go saturday or not. If I do, I need to lower the shift point to 5400 and lower the 2 step to 5000 with hopes of getting it to stop picking the front wheels up.
I did manage to order slicks, and supposedly they will be here monday, but that doesnt help me for this weekend.

I think I wrote a novel. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:12 am 

Yea, you need some new tires! Several have told me lately they are having trouble with the shippers getting tires to them. FedEx just took a local guys tires from Jegs to Hutchins TX, then somewhere else. Finally back here but not in time for the weekend.

We're getting ready for the two day so just a quick note - car likes the booze. Mostly it's been 5.6x @ 121, 1.33~1.35 60'. First pass on alcohol - 1.22, 5.45 @125.5. Had some trouble with the new carb and being on the 2 step at 2800 so I turned it up to 3200. 1.20 60', 5.43 @125 Note humidity around 60%, DA 5050. Rained early in the week and it's been just miserably gummy all week. Last two test passes at 10 and 10:30, 1.20/5.431, 5.437. Now if I can figure out when to let go of the button we might can do something.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 am 

Cool!
I was kind of thinking it would pick up a couple of tenths going to alchy.

Now they are telling me the new tires wont ship until Monday. If I cant get confirmation from them they have actually shipped monday, I'm going to call someone else and see if they will actually ship me a set (even if it means changing brands) so I can have them for the weekend. I need one week on them before I go to the big money races over Labor Day weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 pm 

Hero pass this morning, 3900 DA with like 115 water grains. Gummy as heck. Dialed 5.40 for Dialing For Dollars and ran 5.398 with a 1.17 60'. Hind sight being 20-20 I should have whopped it once and maybe got lucky and made a couple of $ with a dead on zero. First round dialed same 5.40, ran 5.408 with a 1.19 60'. That was the end of fun times as the car developed some sort of electrical issue that is blowing the 10A fuse that feeds the K&R switch panel. Used a 30A to get it in the trailer but didn't want to chance any more rounds until I could de-bug the electronics.

Car is taking 2.26 seconds to get from 60' to 330', then 1.95 from 330-660'. We be movin' on the back half.

And FYI Brent - still haven't turned it up past the 6800 shift point. It's working the converter good, crossing now maybe 6400+. Was maybe 5800 ish on gas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next