www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 pm 

I think I am one post at a time. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 am 

Been there, done that kidney thing several times. Last time I let the hospital look at it, it cost me $38,000. The last two stones I passed I did it at the house. Hurts like MF. I have some Dr. provided Flomax on the shelf for such times. It relaxes the urinary track and can reduce prostate swelling to help let the stones pass. Also per my urologist - beer.

On topic LOL - will be testing a new air shifter setup this Friday. Getting lazy in my old age.

Attachments:
AIrShifter.jpg
AIrShifter.jpg [ 136.54 KiB | Viewed 1168 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:55 pm 

I've been running an electric shifter for probably ten years. Not because I'm lazy, but because I want to know it's shifted at the same point every single time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:55 am 

Bought a Biondo electric - threw it away. Never worked consistently. Even ran a #10 power wire directly from the battery - no go. Solenoid gets real hot and 2-3 gets erratic. So as usual I spent double the money to get the one thing that works LOL. The electric in the dragster for the glide works great, but it only fires once. And that is a push, not a pull.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:21 am 

It finally stopped raining long enough I could get to the track with my fancy shmancy new transmission, and it had a new issue. It would back out of the beams when I set the transbrake. I talked to several folks and the general consensus was not enough pump pressure with the stock pump in the new case that had larger, improved oiling passages. So I pulled it out, and took it to a transmission shop Monday that does a lot of race transmissions as well as the daily driver stuff.

Got my transmission back from the shop Thursday after work and managed to get it up in the car. Took all day Friday off work so I could finish getting it ready to go Saturday without feeling rushed.
They replaced the pump (with the new one FTI unit I bought), and put some new design servo in it that they said reacts a lot quicker than any of the old design servos. There were a couple of small things they changed that they said should help my reaction times, and a couple of other things they have figured out over the years. I'm really looking forward to hitting the track to see how this thing is gonna work now.
They ended up installing this servo in it.
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4484-sm...tyle-servo-kit
Car is loaded up and ready to hit the track today. It seems to shift a lot harder now than it did before, and my preliminary testing showed it doesnt budge when I set the transbrake.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:11 am 

Keep me posted today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:35 am 

The transmission works great.
The driver had to chase the box a little as the brake is a touch quicker now. I ended up with .020 more in the box than I ever ran with the transmission, the bad thing was, I needed .025 more in the third round. I went .003 red.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm 

What trans are you running?

First testing with the air shifter went well. Set for 6300 and the tach shows click over at 6400. Car ran 7.63x 4 times and 7.628. Saturday it ran 7.65 twice (way hot day), then 7.63 breakout, then 7.66 about 1/2 MPH shy of normal. So complete strikeout day. Looked like alternator died. Eventually traced the problem (after trying another alternator and tearing the original apart to test) to a loose connection in alternator feed wire back in the trunk by the battery.

Which also is to say that I can shift like a machine anymore LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:10 pm 

It's a glide.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm 

Stock case? If so - look into this: https://www.tsr-racing.com/powerglide/c ... -case.html

I use one in my glide and the brake sets instant. No fancy servo. With the servo probably even better.

" Year 62-73 PG Quick Set‚ Stock Case. The Quick-Set is a cast lead slug that fits in the crescent shaped area in the rear of the case.  Filling this area speeds the setting of “Double Dump” style transbrakes by reducing the area needed to set reverse."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 32  Next