www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:09 am 

And ours is calling for 104F - that's measured at the air port, so figure 108~110 at the track, probably 150~160 on the starting line. Been over 100 every day this week. Truck dash board indicator read 106 going home yesterday. Modified the hours and cut back to just first round buybacks only.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 am 

I would rather deal with heat any day than rain.
They claim they are running today, but man, I just cant bring myself to go. Looking at the hourly forecast, from the time we are supposed to start time runs, there is a 60% chance of t-storms, and it just gets worse the next few hours, and they are saying 80% chance over all for the day. Yesterday there was only a 50% chance and it stormed like hell for awhile.
I really want to go to the track, but I know if I do rush around to get loaded up and head that way, it will rain out. But if I dont go, they probably wont see a drop of rain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 am 

In the amount of time it took me to hook up the trailer and get the car off jack stands, the chance of rain went up another 10%. And there is already some rain in the area.
I'm not gonna risk wasting my money by driving up there today. Hopefully next weekend we will be out of monsoon season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:15 am 

They got the race in after a couple of rain delays. From my best educated guess, it looks like they got done around midnight. I'm glad I didnt go, twelve hours at the track to get in 7-8 hours worth of racing is a horrible way to spend a saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am 

LOL, been there done that. It was a warm day on Saturday here.

Attachments:
Heat.jpg [76.89 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:59 pm 

Wow, 104F!

Some days long ago at Union Grove, WI (about 15 mi. west of Lake Michigan) we'd bitch about 95F on a Saturday afternoon!
Yet, by say 10 p.m. at night if we were still in the running the temps (with E to W winds) would drop to say 65F and the dew point was very high. Re-jetting our BBC '69 Camaro SS ride (sorry!) was fun (!) as before weather stations were in use, it was by guess or by God as to what to plug in for jetting.

When the Pro guys ran, my bro' stuck his nose into the camps of the likes of Glidden, Jenkins, Dyno, Schartman, Sox and Martin etc. and I was later shocked that he talked to them about the (usual) extreme drop in temps and great rise is humidity late in the evening! They took this advice often when he showed them our car and said (truthfully) we ran in 2nd or 3rd for many seasons in UDRA Unit Stock B class racing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am 

In case that pic won't load for people, the ground temp outside the trailer was 130.4F. I do not know what the track temp was, didn't bother. Likely 145~150+.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:43 pm 

All loaded up and ready to go tomorrow. It is a saturday/sunday race, but I'm leaning towards just running saturday.
It's $5k to win both days, with either $100 entry per day, or $150 for the weekend up front. NO time runs on sunday if you race saturday.
After the test n tune debacle wednesday night with the better half's car, coupled with how busy we have been all week at work, I need a day off where I can sit around and do nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:23 pm 

I learned something yesterday. I learned when you use an aftermarket case, you have to run an aftermarket pump for everything to work properly. If you dont, and you stage like normal, as soon as you set the transbrake it will back out of the beam. I lost first round when it backed out, second round I tried staging at A LOT higher rpm, and that just screwed me up in a different way.
Then to add to the weekend misery, I woke up at 3 am this morning with back pain, that continued to get worse. Off to the ER we went where they determined I had a kidney stone. 4 painful hours later, we were finally leaving the hospital.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:48 pm 

You need to write a book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next