www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 am 

Good fun Chris. So did you pull the Cleveland from your wifes car and put it in your Falcon? I thought the Falcons were real light weight - maybe im wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 am 

Fiberglass hood, bumper, seats, 8 point mild steel cage, aluminum fuel cell, no heater/AC, no back seat = 3060 lbs, 3270 with me in there - no, they are not lite. It's a big white brick and almost 12" taller than the Mustang. Mustang ran 7.3x and I expected 7.6x, got 7.5x which is better than I thought. However, air was decent - 3200~4000' DA. Over 4K DA it'll be 7.6x or so. Later we plan to convert to methanol which could get back maybe 2 tenths.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 am 

wow, and all this time I thought these Falcons were light. Are they a full frame or unibody?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am 

Unibody - 66 up are based on the Fairlane chassis design. Same engine compartment dimensions. Car was 3400+ before it got stripped down as a hot rod.

1967 Ford design sheets:

64-65 are the more square body, much smaller engine compartment (early Mustang) and probably lighter. 61-63 same except the rounded off body style.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:26 pm 

I wish i can put fiberglass on my Cougar. US Body Source has them but I think it's about $1200 for the fenders and hood. They also have a 1 piece hinged unit for the 70 Cougar but it's $1600 plus the price for the hinges. Just to rich for me right now. Last year when I went to Ennis the scales said mine weighed 2880 without me with 5 gallons of fuel. 3110 with me in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 pm 

That's pretty light. My hood is from US Body Source - was about $200. In 1990. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm 

So, I kinda screwed up a little. I finally got my transmission back with all the shiny new parts, stuck it in the car, put the new shiny mega starter on, and right away thought, "something doesnt look right." Yep, after a little investigating, it turns out the new bellhousing that goes along with the new case is for a 164 tooth flexplate, not a 157 like I have on my motor. A little more investigating showed they dont even offer a 157 tooth bellhousing. I should have researched that a little more than just calling the guy and saying "get me a bellhousing, case and straight cut gear set."
So, I ordered a new 164 tooth flexplate, and need to pull the transmission back out of the car to swap out plates.
~Luckily~ the forecast for the rest of the week is rain, rain and more rain, and there is little to no chance anyone will be racing this weekend anyways.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:06 pm 

It's the little stuff that makes you nuts. We're good for Saturday - the "better" Pro Ratchet is in the car. After putting it on the lift and beating the hell out of the tunnel with a crow bar to get the cable to angle up correctly. One bolt ended up over the drive shaft loop so it's only held down by two bolts for now. Had to jam some pieces of copper wire in the fuse holder for the line lock to get a solid connection. Apparently the spring in the tail has failed. It's the little stuff. Fix more of that next week. Work on the dragster - none. Remember the discussion about the dist. gear? None of that has moved from it's place on the bench for over a month.

No rain Saturday - but wife's birthday is Sunday. Pool is ready, grand kid coming over, steaks in the fridge - and 40% chance of rain. Sucks.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 pm 

I've got the transmission back in with the new (correct) flexplate installed. Starter is on, bellhousing bolts are in, converter bolts are in, transmission mount bolts, etc. I still need to install the filler tube, fluid, cooler lines, and driveshaft. But that's not a lot of work to get done in 2 weeks. LOL

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:38 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
Unibody - 66 up are based on the Fairlane chassis design. Same engine compartment dimensions. Car was 3400+ before it got stripped down as a hot rod.

1967 Ford design sheets:

64-65 are the more square body, much smaller engine compartment (early Mustang) and probably lighter. 61-63 same except the rounded off body style.

Early falcon before '64 is quite different and VERY light. We built a race car out of one of those about 25 years ago and as a driver before we started on the project and with a bunch of extra crap(wheels and tires) in the trunk it weighed 2450lbs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next