www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:47 pm 

They pulled the plug on tomorrow's race already. That's good and bad. Good cuz it frees up my time tomorrow, bad cuz now I cant go racing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:22 pm 

Never checked the rear fluid since I got the car, other than make sure it had some. Drained it today - got just a bit over 1/2 gallon out of it. !! Its got a quart in it now, mo betta. I went and rigged up a puke tank anyway just in case. The clouds went away and we hit 100 again, so the nice temp didn't last long. Glad for shop AC. Will load it in the trailer in the morning while its still relatively cool. Like, less than 90.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 am 

It looks like they're going to try and race today.
Man, I dont know what kind of shape the track will be in after all the rain we got this week (up in to last night). It literally rained every day this week (and maybe every day since the previous week), and some days it rained HARD. I dumped an inch out of the rain gauge Thursday, then dumped 7 tenths out when I got home yesterday, then another .25 out this morning from last night.
I think they might be a little worried about it as well. Instead of gates opening at 2:00, two time runs starting at 3:00, they are opening at noon. Then starting at 1:00 they are giving open time runs until 3:00, then one by class, then go racing.
I might not learn much today about if my changes helped or not, but at least I'll be racing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 am 

Don't know about your track, but ours will wick water up through the cracks when the track gets heated after a big rain. Which we haven't had to deal with in a while. The ground is sloped away from the Jersey barriers but I've seen it dry up to about 6" from the barriers outside and water perking up through cracks like a old school coffee pot. Hopefully you guys got the race off.

Improvement here are incremental. I did get the car settled on 2800 launch RPM and hit a series of -.0001, .007, .002, .012 lights off the trans brake. (note - not so much on Saturday when I needed good light LOL). The car remains skittish in the first increment - 60' to 330'. 330-660 is pretty solid. Meaning things like 3.71/5.71, 3.67, 5.67 etc. The problem is the variance - Time trials - 5.71 Right, 5.68 Left. 1st round L dial 5.68, runs 5.74. 2nd round L dial 5.71 runs 5.68 killing one MPH. 3rd round R dial 5.68, runs 5.71. Burnouts same, launch RPM same, same/same. 60' sometimes changes - we expect that in the heat and when they spray/drag after 2nd round. But it really moves around between 60' and 330'. After that, good to go. It "feels" like this is a carb issue and will be talking to my carb guy this week about bolting on the methanol carb and switching over. Got one TnT left before football season, so maybe make a leap of faith. I thought about building up a stocker type Holley but the only thing I have hand is an old - and I mean OLD - 4778 700 DP. Date coded 2nd week May 1972. I think the metering blocks are stock but looks like I can also use 4777 blocks of which I have plenty and jet it up to 4778-x config which looks nearly same as the later 4777-x. The 4778 has some interesting stepped boosters in it, might work well.

Still have to get some top lube but track owner said just holler if I needed 5 gallons of VP to test fire the alcohol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:02 pm 

Got my shit together and headed to Sonoma on Thursday morning in my F350 car hauler. Lost the brakes twenty miles from home and had to get towed home. This was for the Shelby convention and we had a two hour drag program on Friday afternoon. Got in the wife's car and went anyway since I was in charge of the drag program. Everyone else had fun but not me. Oh well.
Randy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

Sorry to hear that. The brakes are stating to chatter on the F-350 with the trailer on it, I may just take it to someone. I did them once - or I may have to source organic pads and shoes. I already replaced the rear drums so I wonder if it's the disks that are causing the chatter. Even with a brake controller, the 93 has never liked to stop a trailer very well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:17 pm 

Man Randy, that sucks. I'm starting to think my dually is going to need brakes soon, at least the fronts. They tend to squeal every now and then when I stop. I ordered new pads, but may just lazy out and pay someone to do it.

I went saturday. Our track used to have a problem with water seeping up thru the cracks after a lot of rain, but it seems they corrected that issue the last time they resurfaced the track as saturday the track was really good.
The track was good, the car was decent, the driver sucked eggs.
My lights were consistent, consistently mediocre. First round I was .027. My man was LATE, .065 or something. I kept looking at him waiting for him to drive up next to me (he was dialed 6.23 to my 6.38 so I was looking at him the entire time), kind of lost track of where I was and waited too long to hit the brakes and didnt even knock a full mph off. I broke out .0029 to his .0025 breakout. I took .041 stripe. Hogged it up bad.

So I bought back, dialed it down one, rolled around the tower and saw the tree completely shaded so I stuck .005 in the box, not even thinking about the fact my lights had been mediocre all day. I was .030, he was .022. I went 6.374 on a 6.37, he went 6.196 on a 6.19 killing almost 5 mph taking .004 MOV. If I would have left the nickel in the box, he would have had less room to try and back in to me and more than likely would have broke out or gave it back trying to tighten it up that much. Oh well, live to race another day.

Going to put new plugs in it for next weekend and go to a track where the et's are more "normal" and set the box on kill (it's either gonna be really good or red, no in between.) The track I was at this weekend is slower than any other track in the area. Most guys say their ETs are off .06-.07 compared to other tracks. I am off .08-.10 compared to the other local tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:45 pm 

LOL, hear every word. For comparison, I took .0800 stripe 2nd round. Foot was heading for the brake but found a chassis diagonal first. I came up with a fresh way to lose, so I got that going for me.

I'm thinking about the 4778 still - I have that and a old 4777-2 that is untouched. Considering putting the 4777-2 blocks on the 700, but the IFRs are way different. 4778 IFR .055, 4776-2 .032. Didn't think to look at the air bleeds, so will do that tonight. There are "family things" taking up considerable time this week, so I'm less excited about a switch to a new fuel. Next race is in two weeks and it's a double, Saturday and Sunday. If I don't get competitive by the end of that, we'll not go to the bracket finals. Makes no sense to drag your junk 260 miles if your car is too skittish to point and shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm 

Talked to a buddy of mine today, a fellow that wins quite a bit, and wins his share of big money races. We were talking about my reaction times, and I was kind of complaining about saturday night and how I was just mediocre all night and kind of frustrated by it. He pointed out the anomaly was the first one, and I should have thrown it out. We got three time runs saturday, I was .024 first hit, so I took .010 out of the delay box which should have gotten me around .014 next pass. I was .026. I thought I missed it, so I left everything alone for last time run and was .026 again. Still not convinced I hadnt missed it, I took another .005 out of the box for first round and was .027. My buddy said if I throw out the first one and use my second light as the constant, when I pulled the time out I should have been .021 next hit but was .027. He said I basically "missed it" .006 and that's in a normal variance range. Next round I put the .005 back in, which should have gotten me back to .026 and I was .030. That's only .004 off where I was "set up", and once again, in the normal range of variance. He said basically I just had too much time in the box all day. I felt a lot better about it after talking to him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am 

Good to talk about it - sometimes we're "too close to the action". Since I take the computer date home to process point results, I can line up my runs in a spreadsheet. There have been days where I thought the car was all over the place, then look at the numbers and it was within .02 or less but I didn't listen to it.

My problem on the tree lately is focus - first round the other guy went -.0002 and I saw it, then went .134. Not the way to handle it. At least as long as we are still going with First or Worst :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next