www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm 

I would use restricted cam bearings and that's it...6000 rpm is baby stuff for a Cleveland.

I turn 7000 on my street strip stuff with just the cam bearings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 pm 

Brent,
Are you ok with the larger sized holes in the restrictors?
We already have the external oil line made, so we are going with that no matter what.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm 

Yep should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:25 pm 

Most all of the Cleveland builds that I do are strokers with hydraulic rollers that don't turn more than about 6500rpm anyway. I feel that oiling modifications are totally unnecessary for this sort of build if you use the correct clearances and a good oil pan. I shoot for about .0025 on the mains and .002 on the rods and use a stock Melling pump.

I have done lifter bore bushings on the right side and then restricted the left side a few times with a solid roller and had good results. I put a .020 hole in the bushings and feed the left side with about a .035 hole. I put the restrictor into the rear of the left side oil feed by drilling the back of the passage larger and then threading it for 1/4 inch pipe. I then thread the back of the galley so that a 1/2 inch pipe plug can be used, works slick and if I have to change the size of the restrictor for some reason I don't have to take the whole engine apart. I have some pictures that I'll post.

Putting an oil line to the rear what good does that do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 pm 

The last Cleveland I ran, was 385. It ran hard, shifted at 73-7500, went through traps at 8k. The only thing ever did was Restrictors and Hi volume Melling. I also think that enough oil makes a big difference. Have always ran a 9qt pan.

New 408 is done just have to pick it up. On this I used Tim Meyers cam bearings, and hi Volume. I guess Have to see how this goes, hopefully well, if not, bushings or new block.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 am 

You'd be surprised as how many wives' tales have people doing things that are not needed. I think excessive rod bearing clearances are a no-no.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 am 

I'd like to bump this one back to the top and see if we can get some more feedback on what works and what doesn't when it comes to oil system mods.
I've reached out to several people in the last few weeks in this regard to try and get a better understanding of what's needed in these clevor/ clevo engines that operate above and beyond 8000 rpm but it seems that no one approached is interested in divulging any info. Understandable to certain extent so rather than dwell on it I thought I'd share what I know on this forum because there doesn't seem to be any enlarged ego's here and the sharing of info is what keeps us interested in these engines.

i think one of the biggest things that is overlooked is the reworking of the drainback system from heads to sump.
We all know that the standard oil pump is extremely efficient at pumping oil to the extremities, but getting it back to the sump is a slow process and work is need to aid return. Oil is certainly needed to cool the springs but having the rocker covers filled with oil means your sump is lacking the necessary oil to keep the pickup fully covered.

Enlarging the drainback holes in the head and block certainly helps. But in an engine revving to 8000 plus that in it self may not be adequate. I have a long 6 inch ball shaped porting burr which is the next oversize from the standard return hole size. I ream every orifice , front and back.
External -8 return lines from the rear of the heads to the sump will ensure the oil has another path apart from those standard particularly when accelerating g forces are involved.
I will endeavour to get some photos as I make these changes to a 440 clevor street/strip combo I'm building.

I'd also like to talk about the use of restrictors that limit oil to the lifters and valvetrain and whether the type of lifter used is susceptible to damage ( Torrington vs bushed)

More to come but feel free to chime in with questions or whatever you have to offer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 am 

I don't think there's much oil that's kept in the lifter valley on a Cleveland block. The oil that goes to the cam bearings should drain right back to the crankcase and the oil that goes to the lifters is usually taken upstairs: that's why I use restricted pushrods. Most of my pushrods are restricted to .040" on hipo situations. Most of your aftermarket rocker arms are needle bearing fulcrum, so they don't require much oil and the amount of oil that can go through a .040" orifice is still quite a bit. Of course there's a difference between an engine that sees 7500-8000 for 1/4 mile and one that sees 7500-8000 for an extended amount of time.

The heads drain straight to the pan on both ends on the Cleveland. On a Windsor block, they drain to the timing cover area in the front and to the lifter valley in the rear, so you have to rely on it filtering through the lifter valley first before returning to the pan.

I'm not big on lifter bore bushings unless they are worn or I'm using a flat tappet camshaft. Then I think it's good insurance to make sure they're corrected to the correct angles and spacing with a BHJ fixture.

I've got a thread here somewhere, where I show the bearings out of a 7500 rpm Cleveland street/strip engine. You can see my mic tracks on them still after a season of racing and street driving. That's with nothing but restricted cam bearings. .003" on the mains, .0025" on the rods.

On Brian Gilchrist's 434 inch Clevor, I ran roller cam bearings and installed .903" lifter bore bushings that have no oiling hole present to the front of the block. That's in a Ford Racing block which has the front passage that goes right off the main feed to the lifter feed in the front. That way, it's a main/rod priority system. It also has restricted pushrods.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 am 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=507&p=4001&hilit=lifter+bore+bushing#p4001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 am 

blykins wrote:
that's why I use restricted pushrods. Most of my pushrods are restricted to .040" on hipo situations. Most of your aftermarket rocker arms are needle bearing fulcrum, so they don't require much oil and the amount of oil that can go through a .040" orifice is still quite a bit.

Your OP is about what's needed for oiling... my crane roller rockers have a .035 restricter built into the oil passage, then restricter pushrods are not needed... all of the top brands [that I have seen] restrict to some point/level... would check before spending $$$ on pushrods.

On the extra oil line to the rear: everyone ask why... unless you are running a rubber hose [vs, Steel/Stainless] the question is what harm could it do... yes, it's of little value on a low rpm street motor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next