www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 am 

I'd like to start a thread on Cleveland oiling mods.

Honestly, I feel like there's a lot of misinformation floating around about what's necessary to make Clevelands live. If you look at some of the other forums, people are quick to recommend hand-installed lifter bore bushings at the drop of a hat, external oil lines, .003-.0035" rod clearances, etc.

IMO, all of that is just unnecessary for most engines, and honestly, the only thing I use for up to 7000 rpm is a set of restricted cam bearings. I also set the rod bearing (and main bearing) clearances at around .001"/inch of journal.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or start a battle, but I do think that a lot of stuff is floating around that's simply not accurate or true. Most of them are from guys that do not build engines for a living....or haven't put an engine together for 15-20 years. There's a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:21 am 

Ok, so I have a question? Not to put anyone on the spot, but what do you think about the Temeyer cam bearings vs taking a standard set of cam bearings and drilling a hole in them? I like doing some things cheaper but only concern would be, how to clean and bebur the bearing after drilling. How much are Temyer bearings vs a race set that you use?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am 

Well, I buy my Cleveland bearings from Tim.....there's no way I can buy a set of cam bearings, drill them, de-burr them, and clean them for what I buy them for. I just buy them, pop them in, and not worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm 

Brent do you put solid flat/roller stuff into that category?

Do you see many problems with lifter to bore clearance?
I could rock my crower flats in the bore pretty good before bushings but i don't know if thats typical. While a cheap speed pro seemed much tighter.

Does connecting rod choice say prepped stock vs good aftermarket have any affect on clearance?

I'm full of questions. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm 

IMO using old stock blocks alot of them are worn out and that includes the lifter bores, for a serious enging, I'd size them up to .904 and correct the alignment get a fresh start. TM has a thread started on this.

If you are using a new aftermarket block odviously this shouldn't be necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 am 

I put everything into that category, especially solid stuff, since those are the ones that need to turn the rpms.

Connecting rod brand doesn't matter. I put stock rods at around .0025" clearance and I put aftermarket 2.100" journal rods at around .0020" or so.

Lifter bore slop will hurt quite a bit in a lot of ways. You want a good measured fit, or else you will leak oil there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 pm 

I'm going to bring this back to the top and say I completely agree with Brent's first post.
However, since the way I found to make my stock rod motors live is rather unconventional according to popular belief, I'll pass on the rest of the thread. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 am 

Hi,
I am doing a 383 stroker for a friend.
In the past he has had issues with loosing oil pressure at sustained high revs.
I have decided to fit restrictors to the block an oil feed line to the rear, and a high volume pump.
He is using semi grooved main brg's also.

I run restrictors at .090" in my race engine, with a roller cam in all 4 rear mains and .110 in #1.
For his engine with solid lifters I have drilled the restrictors to .125" in the 4 small ones and also for the big one, I have not fitted a restrictor to #1.
Does this sound OK?
I think perhaps I might also get the Moroso high pressure spring kit?
I want to be careful not to restrict the oil to much to the lifters and rocker gear as this is a street engine, that sometimes get's the shit beat out of it.

Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 am 

Chris, what does he consider high rpms? I use restricted cam bearings but have never used an external line. What oil pan and pickup is he using?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 pm 

Brent,
This is a street engine, 6000rpm max because it has a procomp crank and he knows the risks.
I use the external line in my race motor, so we have decided to go with that also.