www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:10 pm 

Well, the only thing is that you will never have a solid roller profile that's the same as a flat tappet profile, especially in situations like these, where they are looking to make as much horsepower as they can. The lobes will generally be more aggressive. So, in addition to the extra weight, and the lobe designs, you need quite a bit more spring pressure. If my memory serves me correctly, they were running around 500-600 lbs open with the previous solid flat tappet designs. It wouldn't surprise me if they're running 300 lbs over that now. Turning 9000-9500 rpm takes a lot of control.

Most of the rocker arms were made by T&D or Jesel and did not have adjusters in them. They were non-adjustable rockers for strength and weight (no adjuster in the hindend of the rocker takes a lot of weight off) and lash was adjusted with pushrod length and lash caps.

The lifters are probably 1" in diameter and are keyed, bushed lifters. No link bars, but keyed so that they can't turn. Everything is enclosed, roller cam bearings or 55-60 mm babbit bearings, with the camshaft turning inside of an enclosed tunnel to keep oil from falling onto the rotating assembly. These are dry sump engines, so one stage of the pump scavenges from the lifter valley to remove oil.