www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This jerks my chain
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:14 pm 

http://www.dragzine.com/news/overdue-co ... et-racers/

I HATE this entire concept, HATE. IT.
Seriously, if all the tracks switch to this, I'll quit.
Let's just give everyone a damned trophy for entering and not even run the race anymore because it's not fair someone is faster than someone else.

Post subject: Re: This jerks my chain
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:23 am 

Green and than red is really confusing although I like the idea, but I would say no green light till both cars leave the starting line.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 am 

I’m not a bracket racer (i don’t have the money for it) but I wish I could bracket race. I don’t like the fact they wont show the red light like normal. I have heard that it is part of some peoples strategy to get their opponent to red light - kinda like in football when the QB makes the D fence jump off sides with a hard count.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm 

I had a Super Pro win 30 years ago when I ran my 7 second ( fast for the time) dragster and was the fastest car in the category via 5 red lights. I never had a "race". I "took the green" , shut off and pushed back to save time , wear and tear on my car. I even joked with my final round opponent who walked up and called me Mr Lucky. He wasn't so jovial when HE redlighted and I got the check. I still enjoy every race I win on a redlight. If you follow the "first or worst" philosophy NHRA has had for decades , the rule , so to speak , is already there , they just never applied it to the SAME infraction so to speak. This is a radical step for sure and I encourage guys to think it over a bit. IMHO-----
Everyone who races should have the same opportunity to win or lose a race based on something HE can control. ( removing crashing or breakage). You can be late on the tree , go too slow , or go to fast and you lose because of it. If you redlight you lose the equality from the standpoint that your opponent has the SAME capability to redlight as you did , YET he was given the race because you did FIRST. This system FORCES your opponent to be "on the tree" just like you have to be.
In a "heads up" race where there is a double red light , the first IS the worst ALWAYS , game over. Handicap racing is a different animal and feel this is a step in the right direction despite the confusion that WILL result until it becomes familiar to everyone. If you want to make racing fun again get rid of throttle stops , delay boxes, cross talk and all that other cyber crap. Foot brake start , foot brake at the finish. Dial in and win.
Randy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:29 pm 

gt350hr wrote:
If you want to make racing fun again get rid of throttle stops , delay boxes, cross talk and all that other cyber crap.Randy

What I've been saying for years....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:42 pm 

I'll quit.
It's bullshit, and NO ONE will change my mind even though I am the slow car and this rule would "benefit" me.
Every single person who races knew when they started if they were the slow car and they redlit, they lost. Period.
There were two ways to fix it, dont redlight, or make your car faster. It worked fine for DECADES. Not just a few years, but since the inception of the electronic starting system.
Then at some point in the sport the powers that be decided to start blinding the tree. The fast super pro cars whined that they could no longer see the top bulb on the other side to cross over, so they invented cross talk. Which in turned screwed over the fast bottom bulb cars that were trying to run with the electronics class. Then a while later, some door car guys starting whining it wasnt fair they had to run dragsters right away, so some tracks started separating door cars from dragsters for the first few rounds.
Then someone with a slow car decided it wasnt fair if he redlit and the guy chasing him redlit worse that he was the loser, so now they have changed shit again.
What's next? "his tires are bigger than mine so it's not fair I have to race him." So now let's separate the cars based off "big tire vs small tire, door car vs dragster."
Then after that someone will whine that "he's on alcohol, that aint fair."
So now let's separate them based off fuel choice, tire size, and whether it is a door car or dragster. Shit, they're gonna have to add more staging lanes for all this mess.
Then pretty soon someone will whine "his closing speed is too high and I cant judge the finish line."
Pretty soon they'll just give everyone who enters a damned trophy so no one will cry and whine that it's not fair that Joe Racer over there is better than him and wins and he cant.
Changing this rule will attract ZERO new racers to the sport, which according to all the experts is what needs done to keep it afloat. But, I can see guys quitting due to it, me included.
If you cant cut a lite consistently without the occasional (10% or less) redlight, then you need to either learn to drive the stripe so you dont have to cut the tree down every pass, learn to stage the car in the same place, or find a new hobby.

Like I said, NO ONE will change my mind on this topic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:52 pm 

You want to fill the stands , BAN electronics. Throttle stops , delays all that CRAP. Drag racing was a fun sport for MORE decades without that crap. Go to a national event and watch the stands EMPTY when the head up SUPER classes run. NO driver enhancements , just skill.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:40 pm 

Fill the stands but empty the staging lanes....sounds like a helluva deal to me.
They think no one shows up to race now, ban electronics and see what happens. You will lose HALF of your entries, and I bet half of the tracks around the country would be forced to shut down soon after.
Spectators don't give one rats ass if a car is launched with a delay box or shifted with an electronic shifter, they don't understand handicap (bracket) racing. Even if everyone ran sans electronics, they would still not show up to watch. The only thing your average spectator understands is "fastest car wins". And we all know in our sport that is the same thing as "the guy with the most money wins."
I get tired of listening to people bitch and moan about how electronics are killing the sport of bracket racing. There are classes for both people. If you don't like electronics, don't run any of it. It's pretty simple.
The funny thing is, around here, electronics classes usually have more cars than the footbrake classes, even at the tracks where the payout/entry fee is the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 pm 

kv racing wrote:
Spectators don't give one rats ass if a car is launched with a delay box or shifted with an electronic shifter

Sorry, but I do, and most everyone I know does. yanking your finger off a button and riding in the car down the track isn't racing to me and lots of other folks. I quit going to the local track long ago because it just wasn't fun to watch anymore. Evidently lots of folks agree, or "Street Outlaws" as faux as it may be wouldn't be so wildly popular that the NHRA has begun to view it as a threat. The other growing trend I see is the "No Prep" street style racing being held at tracks. I can't help but wonder if there won't soon be a new sanctioning body that takes it bigger. That type of old school run what you brung racing, but done safely is putting new excitement into drag racing that had become just a drag. JMHO as a spectator...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:15 pm 

Explain to me how you can tell from outside a car when it was launched off a transbrake with a delay box or launched off the footbrake?

I'm just curious.

"That type of old school run what you brung racing..."

And that right there is also called "the guy with the most money wins."

Jesus christ, it's like talking to a fucking mud fence.