www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Octane needed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:19 pm 

If this is not the right place for this question please move it. I'm looking for real world input on octane requirement to fight off detonation in a hot street car. The car and the engine specifics are here under Engine results, " Boss 347 Dyno results". Basic specs; 10;1, rater aggressive custom SFT cam, 4.30:1 gear, stick car. The straight Sunoco 98 I'm using now seems to work fine but may be a bit of overkill, as well as $10.00 a gallon. I know this is a topic that is difficult to provide hard data on as the answer varies from engine to engine but, any informed input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

Post subject: Re: Octane needed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:17 pm 

If the 296/304 is true advertised duration, it's a lazy solid flat tappet and I would expect that combination to work on 93 octane.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 am 

My 359c has 11:1 compression. I run 93 in it when I just take it around town every once and a while. I have never heard it knocking or anything. Then again I have aluminian heads and you have iron. If i remember, i think my total timing is 34 degrees which makes the initial timing around 14 or 16 degrees. I hate the smell of unleaded though. 110 octane smells much better.

By the way, mine is an automatic with a 3000 stall, 4.11 gears with Hoosier Quick Time Pro 27x11.5x15 tires

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 am 

Brent, I looked at the Cam Analyzer V 4.0 data. It didn't show advertised durations. It did verify @ .050 duration numbers of 244.37/252.46. I have no choice but to believe the advertised duration numbers provided by the cam grinder. Thanks for the information you provided. It helps me have confidence in running something less than 98 octane.
Nova Spanker, Thanks for providing some real world feedback from your 11.0:1 engine in a street environment.
I'd like to run pure race gas as it has consistent formulation and the tune up wouldn't need to change. The pump gas formulation changes several times a year so specific gravities and reid vapor points change. I have verified, from a petroleum engineer at Conoco/Phillip,s that the formulation at my location (central Oklahoma) changes at least 7 times a year.
Thanks Again,
Chuck