www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:11 am 

Hi everyone. Well the passenger side Patriot header went in like a dream. I didn't even have to take the starter off. I only had one clearance issue and that was the idler arm bolt. Simple solution was to cut it off about 1/4". Other than only coming with 2.5" collectors, I think these are some pretty darn good headers. I fired it up in my garage yesterday and got a standing ovation from 2 out of 3 neighbours :D I guess I let it sit too long though, my accelerator pump was leaking and so now i have to take the carb off.
I dont know if im the first one in the world to do it but ill be the first to post it on this forum. the Patriot H8407 headers will fit in a 1970 Cougar/Mustang with a Cleveland with Trick Flow 225cc cnc heads that have the exhaust ports raised .100". Im still running the stock motor mounts and a c4 transmission too. I dont have power steering either but their website says it fits power steering. Here are some pics of the passenger side. Also, dont worry, im not going to tell Patriot they fit this particular set up so they dont have a reason to jack up the price- this will be OUR LITTLE SECRET hee hee hee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:13 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:16 am 

Idler arm interference

Idler arm interference no more

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 am 

Figured i would post a picture of the exhaust ports on the Trick Flow heads to show how the 1 5/8 primary Hedman headers fit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 am 

That's fantastic. I'm getting a set. I have a 351C in a '67 with manual trans. The Hooker's hang down way to much, plus my car is lowered, I hit all the time. I will give up a little power (1 7/8" tubes vs 1 3/4") for a better fit any day. One problem I see if you put the 3" collectors on will it hit the floor at the trans mount? Looks close in the pictures, but could just be the angle. Thanks for the report and pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

Not a problem. Ya, im not sure what im gonna do yet for the collector. Any ideas anyone? I was thinking of cutting it where it is 3" on the collector of the header and then weld on of these set ups in place (link below). then weld on an extension or a turn down to equal 18" over all length from the collector. I probably made it sound more complicated than it is :geek:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15930/overview/

oh and by the way, in the side by side picture of the new and old headers it looks like the Patriots are longer (or may hang lower) than the Hedman 2v's but they dont. Its just cause of the picture angle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:17 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
Not a problem. Ya, im not sure what im gonna do yet for the collector. Any ideas anyone? I was thinking of cutting it where it is 3" on the collector of the header and then weld on of these set ups in place (link below). then weld on an extension or a turn down to equal 18" over all length from the collector. I probably made it sound more complicated than it is :geek:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15930/overview/

oh and by the way, in the side by side picture of the new and old headers it looks like the Patriots are longer (or may hang lower) than the Hedman 2v's but they dont. Its just cause of the picture angle.

Maybe something like this...
http://www.kartek.com/Product/3436/4-to ... ector.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:38 pm 

I thought about something like that but then I would have to cut to much off the original collector to do that. I was thinking of something like this but i would have to do the same thing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h7672

I just wish they would have done what I asked and put 3" collectors on my headers when making them.
I called Hedman before I ordered these headers and they told me they will not make a 1 off header with 1 3/4 primaries for a 67-70 cougar. I told them it makes no sense not making a header for those years with a 1 3/4 tube cause there are more of us with these years needing these headers than the 71-74 cars. He still said no even after i told him i would pay extra for the work. ---stupid in my book ..... :roll: