www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Lifter bore bushings...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am
Posts: 2790
We often hear that lifter bore bushings are absolutely necessary on high-horsepower, high-rpm Clevelands.

These are a couple pairs of rod bearings from Brian Gilchrist's 408. I took pictures of these 4 halves, but they all looked the same. If you'll notice, you can still see the mic tracks on them from where I measured clearances a couple of years ago. Since then, he hasn't seen many street miles, but he's seen a good number of passes, launching anywhere from 2500 to 5500 rpm, and shifting usually around 7000-7200.

Now granted, this is *not* a 9000 rpm endurance engine, but it *is* a "street/strip" engine that essentially only has a set of cam bearings from Tim Meyer. No other oiling mods were done, no lifter bore bushings were installed, no "loose" rod bearing clearances were used. These were Scat H-beam 6" rods, with a 2.100" rod journal. Rod bearing clearances were nominally at .0025".

My caveat is that I can justify lifter bore bushings in a situation where the factory block is just worn out and the lifter bores are sloppy. Even then, I would advise using a BHJ or similar fixture so that each lifter bore can be corrected to a blueprinted location before installing the bushing.

Image

Image

_________________
Brent Lykins, Lykins Motorsports
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 pm
Posts: 59
Very nice. Are you using Tim's cam bearings or the old standby Moroso restrictor kit? Also curious what oil pump? Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am
Posts: 2790
Brian,

Just Tim's cam bearings and a Melling HV pump.

_________________
Brent Lykins, Lykins Motorsports
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 424
HV pump? Did you use 5w30 with it to? What were your pressures you seen?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am
Posts: 2790
He was using 15W-50 for a bit then changed to 10W-30 if I remember right....

He was pulling oil pressure off the rear of the block and was getting 55-60 psi.

_________________
Brent Lykins, Lykins Motorsports
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 283
Try the std pump with the Moroso or Ford spring. It is a little known fact that the HV pump HAS to use that spring to keep from bypassing all the time. Most think the pressure comes from the higher volume of the longer gears but it doesn't. When I used to help Dyno Don we ran many oil pans out of oil with the HV pumps and many rods out the side before going back to standard volumes. Brent is right about bushed lifter bores , needed if the bores ar loose , not if they are good. We used to drill a .060 hole opposite of the normal cam bearing hole and install them with the new hole down so no "restrictor" mods were needed. No real tricks and no bearing problems any longer. The block got a bad rap from people who didn't understand what it needed.
Randy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 pm
Posts: 170
blykins wrote:
He was using 15W-50 for a bit then changed to 10W-30 if I remember right....

He was pulling oil pressure off the rear of the block and was getting 55-60 psi.


I used Joe Gibbs conventional 15W-50 the entire time


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Massachusetts
gt350hr wrote:
Try the std pump with the Moroso or Ford spring. It is a little known fact that the HV pump HAS to use that spring to keep from bypassing all the time. Most think the pressure comes from the higher volume of the longer gears but it doesn't. When I used to help Dyno Don we ran many oil pans out of oil with the HV pumps and many rods out the side before going back to standard volumes. Brent is right about bushed lifter bores , needed if the bores ar loose , not if they are good. We used to drill a .060 hole opposite of the normal cam bearing hole and install them with the new hole down so no "restrictor" mods were needed. No real tricks and no bearing problems any longer. The block got a bad rap from people who didn't understand what it needed.
Randy


Randy,
Are you saying you drilled a new.060 hole in the cam bearing shell, and that "new" hole is used as the restrictor? You didn't use any of the Moroso resrictors at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am
Posts: 2790
Sorry Brian, at 37, my memory isn't what it used to be.....

Coupe, that's what randy did. Fwiw, I've never used the Moroso restrictors either. Randy restricted with a smaller hole. Tims bearings are actually grooved on the back side, then you clock them to put the feed hole at around 4:00.

_________________
Brent Lykins, Lykins Motorsports
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 pm
Posts: 170
blykins wrote:
Sorry Brian, at 37, my memory isn't what it used to be.....

Coupe, that's what randy did. Fwiw, I've never used the Moroso restrictors either. Randy restricted with a smaller hole. Tims bearings are actually grooved on the back side, then you clock them to put the feed hole at around 4:00.

I'm impressed that you remembered which oil I run considering all the motors you build.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group