www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am 

I pulled the cast iron intake manifold off and am replacing it with an edelbrock intake. I have noticed that the replacement intake gasket sets do not come with a new lifter valley pan. Do I reuse the one that was on it? Do I reuse the pan at all??? The reason I ask whether or not to use the pan is because I have watched several 351c tear down videos and some engines did not have this pan on it when they pulled the stock intakes.

So use it or lose it??
If I use it do I buy a new one or clean and reuse the one that is in there?

Thanks
Wade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 pm 

I never use them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

Most people don't use the valley pan. I have used it in the past with success with cast iron stock heads.
Fel-Pro part number is MS96012 for the 4V

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 pm 

coupe3w wrote:
Most people don't use the valley pan. I have used it in the past with success with cast iron stock heads.

I have cast iron 4v heads. Should I use it? What is the purpose of it? Heat deflector for intake charge???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm 

scgamecock wrote:
coupe3w wrote:

I have cast iron 4v heads. Should I use it? What is the purpose of it? Heat deflector for intake charge???

Ford used it to keep hot oil of the bottom of the cast iron intake manifold. It's up to you to use it or not. If the pins are still in your heads for locating the pan it works as intended. If the pins are missing its a crap shoot if it's in the right place when you install the intake. Like I said I have used it in the past with success.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:17 pm 

All I run are iron heads, and I dont use it. I tried it on the first couple of motors I put together because I didnt know any better, and honestly, I thought it was leak prone, especially if the heads have been milled at all. Buy the Felpro 4 piece gasket and dont worry about that pan, but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:51 pm 

It's at your discretion. I will say this, I have never used one.

I have the frame of mind that all of these engines were designed 40-50 years ago. You will see the same style of pans/tins in FE engines and I have never used any in those either. Back when there was non-detergent oil, you would see a lot more sludge and coked oil in engines. However, these days, everything runs so clean.

One other thing to note is that they will not work with roller cams.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:21 pm 

Back in the old days my Dad used one on a 351 C in a USAC stock car and then cut the intake open at the front and the back and then built a little fin in the front to catch air and pass it under the intake. Jack Roush really liked this trick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 pm 

I still have the "TURKEY" pan on my old Cleveland with the Aussie 2v heads and Weiand Xcellerator 2v aluminium intake. I live in the North Dallas Tx area and it gets pretty hot here. You have to look for advantages for reducing heat any where you can. So in the heat of the summer bout 10 years ago i did my own test. I installed the gaskets only, got it to operating temp and took it for a hard blast up and down Hwy 377 a few times. Took the intake and carb throttle plate temps. Let the motor cool and installed the turkey pan - (only a few hrs later). Did the same drive test. The carb throttle plate was 20 degrees cooler with the turkey pan installed.

Conclusion:
yes the turkey pan does work for heat deflection.

Yes they do leak. There has not been 1 time I have pulled a Cleveland intake that had a turkey pan and it was dry. Every one of the engines had gassy-oil on the top side of the pan. I even tried to put silicone around the ports - which is suppose to be a no no and it was still wet.

My new engine has the TF Track Heat intake so I dont worry bout the temp as much so it has regular gaskets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:46 am 

blykins wrote:

One other thing to note is that they will not work with roller cams.

That pretty much settles it. I am going to be running a roller cam so I guess no turkey pan.