www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New best 1/4 mile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am 

Well it didn't run what I was hoping it to run but I only got 2 runs. The Motorplex was trying some new bracket class with Friday test n tune and it screwed the whole day up. The bigger rear tires did help. First run I ran 1.68 60ft 1/8 was 7.37@94 1/4 was 11.56@117 last year best was 1.77 60ft 1/8 was 7.45@94 1/4 was 11.61@115 Best 1/8 mile this year at different track with new tires was 1.65 60ft 7.24@95 Second 1/4 mile run kinda sucked. I tried no air cleaner but the engine was too hot. it was already at 200 after my burn out and 215 at the end of the track. ran 11.65@116 The last run was very interesting though. I made a drivers side bar adjustment and it felt like it lifted all 4 tires off the ground. I slowed it down to .25 on Youtube and it lifts but falls and bounces back up and made me spin. It looks like im letting off the gas but im not. I guess I really need some Calvert shocks all the way around. These Lakewoods just are not cutting it with these bars.

run 1 https://youtu.be/o5tG0J_etNk

run 2 https://youtu.be/LvUSns_ZkFg

Post subject: Re: New best 1/4 mile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 am 

Always good to see improvements. Nice work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 am 

Thank you. Yes any improvement is better than none but I was really hoping to see 11.3-11.4 I feel my shocks might be holding my 60ft back. I had All the Caltracks stuff and same shocks on with the less powerful 362 C but im thinking because it didn’t hit the tires as hard as this engine so it didnt really effect it as much. Once I get some extra cash together, I'm gonna go with the Calvert 90/10 fronts and adjustable rears. Heres a clip showing the difference between my Lakewood 90/10 vs the Calvert 91/10

https://youtu.be/PlcszVMBmTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am 

Your camera person needs a SteadyCam. Also, they need to get right behind you at about rear end level and video the launch. From what I could see, there is minimal extension in the rear - possibly topping out the shocks. At the very least try the Calvert recommended Ranchos in the rear, and maybe try setting 7 to start. I run CE 90/10s in the front, haven't seen a need for any others. Not making that much power. With the old 500 HP C in the Falcon, times were similar to where you are - almost exactly in 1/8 mile. Better 60', probably higher stall than what you are using.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm 

What transmission is it again? And how loose is the converter?
Our "street" car would go 1.64-1.67 all day long with a pretty mild 351W while it was running 7.60's. But it had a good converter in it. Good for the track, not good for the street. LOL
If we were gonna drive it on the street, which is the new goal, the converter would need changed as it is too loose for much street driving.
And that thing uses the CE front shocks and air shocks on the back. LOL
Hell, my car runs Lakewoods on the front right now. To me, unless the car is doing great big wheelstands, the rear shocks are more important than the fronts as long as the fronts are transferring the weight. But that's just my warped, uneducated opinion. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am 

Falcon and kv racing
Thank you for your replies.

Falcon: Man I got lucky I even got video this time. Only people who went with me were my Mom, 12 year old daughter and 8 year old daughter. My mom gave up videoing us a long time ago. I finally talked my 12 year old to take the videos with my phone. I cant afford any phone more expensive than my Galaxy J7 and some times with certain lighting it likes to try focusing itself for no reason. Ya I have asked friends and family to take video at track level and everyone just says no. I guess I just need to get 2 go pros and stick them under the car.

kv racing: Transmission is a c4. P/A planetary set, P/A input shaft, P/A servo, alto red clutches, kevlar bands and reverse manual valve body. Stall is way to tight. Its this converter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-451500 I bought it like 15 years ago from a guy off Ebay for $250. All he said was it was behind a
NO2 302 that ran 6.70 to 6.90 1/8 mile. He said foot brake he could never get it past 2600 stall. I'm getting between 3000-3200 - I foot brake of coarse. He did say right before I bought it from him he did have it freshened up (said he has a friend at TCI) and he had them tighten the converter cause the N02 was flashing it to high or something. My buddy builds converters and hes gonna build me a nice 9" with a billet hub and all that for $425 but I actually start my new job tomorrow and I'm taking a big hit in the pocket book to work there.
P.S. the guy did say my converter does have the anti ballooning plate too

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:31 pm 

Is it a street/strip car, or primarily a racecar?
If it's primarily a racecar, put an 8" converter in it. The 9" will never be as quick behind an NA smallblock as the same stall 8". The guys who make a 9" work well in an NA application run BIG motors. And I mean, 555+ inches type of big.

If you were closer, we could throw my 8" Coan in it. That would wake it up. :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 pm 

kv racing

its a strip car. the only street use it gets is when I load it on the trailer. Ya that would be cool to see what your converter would do. Unfortunately the car will be down for awhile. I need to see what finances will be like with the new job. Also, I really need to figure out the cooling system and charging system first. The radiator and electric fan just are not enough. Also the car hates it when I run the fan, the alternator just doesn’t keep up with it. The shitty thing is, its a stock alternator but I put upgraded parts inside. It bench tested at 104 amps but the stock voltage regulator wont let it go past the factory regulator setting. When I turn the fan on after a while it starts bringing the system to its knees. It will actually make the car run rough, I think its taking voltage from my MSD--Really Pisses me off!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am 

Time to go 3G small case - I don't have any issues in the Falcon with big fans, electric pump, fuel pump, ignition, etc. The dragster runs a bitty "50A" denso clone. I'd upgrade it if I could find the right parts. It keeps things alive during a run but I back up the cool down with the charger set on 10A. Alternator set me back $45 from the scrap yard.

Yea, your 60' gives away the tight converter. FWIW, in the Falcon I run a 10" from Freakshow that flashes 4600 and 60's 1.62. Michael makes good converters. It's a bit much for the street but I can putter around locally - say 3-5 miles of the house - a bit if I want. Same converter would go 1.58 in the Mustang with the right intake. Note I have to run the older 2V Funnelweb on the 4V motor because that's all I have, at least until I can afford an AFD intake or find another 4V web intake.

Old picture but this is the fan setup in the Falcon, now using an electric pump. The small case 3G has not trouble with it. 13.5+V with everything running. I also have an override switch to run the fans and pump after a round. Takes maybe 3~5 minutes to go from 200F down to 160F, so no battery issues during race day.

PS, my wife HATES taking any video. Pictures, OK. No video. Since her camera can take 8 frames/sec, that's good enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm 

That's strange it's drawing that much juice. I havent run an alternator in years, not even when I had the BIG electric pump on the car. And back then I had a lot of draw on the battery; MSD 7AL-2, 2 electric fans (one on the radiator and one on the transmission cooler), electric water pump drive, delay box, fan inside the car, big electric fuel pump, electric shifter solenoid, etc. I still have all the same stuff except no electric fuel pump, and I run an electric water pump now, still without an alternator on the car. I dont know if I could physically put on the car now if I wanted to. Belt drive fuel pump is in the way on the driver's side, and the fuel cell is in the way on the passenger side.
Granted I have a BIG battery (1140 CCA) in the car and charge between rounds.