www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm 

It’s a C9ZE-6136c, which is a Boss 302 balancer, I believe. Doesn’t do me any good if it’s spinning, though.
I will pull the pulls and mark it to see if it is spinning, then get it rebuilt if indicated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 pm 

Thanks for the balancer recommendation.
Is there a risk to the motor in running a balancer different from the one that was obviously modified for balance purposes with the crank?
I have no idea what the sensitivity is with using different balancers, don't want one that will shake the motor apart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 am 

IMHO if "they" modified the balancer and/or flex plate/flywheel to balance the rotating assembly, you are screwed. That - again IMHO - is a no-no. I don't know how you would know, other than pull it apart and have it gone over. Personally, having bought a bunch of engines and parts over the last 50 years, I'd take nobody's word about anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 am 

That's how a lot of balancers are made. Instead of adding weight to one side, you remove the weight from the other. You see that done on flywheels as well.

My guess is that you can bolt up any 28oz balancer to that engine and be ok, but if it were me, I'd take the old balancer and a new balancer to a machine/balance shop and have them spin both to see if they're the same. Easy peasy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm 

The balancer is sent off to get rebuilt. This should end the engine timing issues.
Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:32 pm 

The damper dude rebuilt my balancer and said it is definitely a one-off. It’s on its way back to me.
The builder ground out the 28 oz weight and also lightened the balancer more by drilling holes in both the hub and outer ring.
Who did this 20+ years ago and does it tell us anything more about the caliber of the engine and what would have been done to the rotating assembly?
It does have Eagle rods in it.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am 

There are a lot of hacks in the world. You would/should balance the rotating assy using off the shelf balancer and flexplate or flywheel so that if eaither is damaged you just buy and install a replacement. People looking for the N'th degree of power will do whatever and don't care about easy replacements because replacement usually means starting over after scraping the old parts off the track.

I could see some shenanigans from trying to zero balance a stock stroke rotating assy using aftermarket rods. I did it, won't do it again. 6~8 hours labor on the machine, 4 slugs of heavy metal and a lot of grinding to use neutral balance damper and flexplate. With Eagle rods we were way off trying to use 28 oz parts and way off spinning neutral parts, so though what-the-hell, lets see if we can go neutral. Only time and money. Lot of money. About $800 in a stock crank thats now a paper weight. So screwing with the balance could have been some sort of short cut to maybe not use as much heavy metal. Or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:10 am 

Yeah, who knows. I was told be a source that has no incentive to lie, that the motor was built years ago by Ernie Elliott for a Dr. friend of Bill's who circle track raced. The Dr. died of a heart attack before it could be installed, and it was bought from his estate and crated for many years by a shop owner here in Blairsville.

The engine definitely does not have junk parts in it, Boss 351 SVO heads cast in 1974 on a 400 block, Eagle rods, solid roller, stud girdles, the Boss 302 balancer.

Hopefully, that is the case in that it would likely be a well conceived and built motor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:51 am 

If Ernie built it, it ought to be a good bullet. I'd not be afraid to try and make contact with the man. He's on Facebook too.

https://www.facebook.com/ernieelliottinc9/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:18 pm 

Yes, I have been trying to reach him by phone. No return call yet.
I can try signing up for Facebook and reach out that way.
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next