www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:18 pm 

Hey guys, been a while since I've checked out the 351c forum. It looks a little quiet in here! Anywho, I'm starting to get the itch again and was thinking of tossing my old 351c 4v in a 65 mustang. It's been filled with hardblok to the bottom of the water pump holes.

Would be used for short trips around my small town. Run on e85, with an oil cooler. Anybody done this or am I asking for trouble?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 pm 

With a half fill of hardblock and e85, I doubt that you'll have cooling issues. Especially on a street car. Probably wouldn't even need the oil cooler to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 pm 

Many Ford guys from all the popular Forums have run filled blocks with great success. If you are concerned, perhaps a oil temp gauge to check that things don't get to hot (likely unneeded unless you do road or track racing or live in an environment with pretty hot air temps in Summer). Then, and if needed, an oil cooler can be added.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:11 pm 

The only difference you'll see is that the oil temperature will be somewhat higher than with a non filled block. I've never seen it make any difference what so ever in a drag application or on the dyno. With that said one time about 10 years ago I built a 460 engine for a customer who had one in a jet boat. When he brought in the engine the bearings were all cooked, black with a couple of rods nearly spun. When I took it apart the block was totally 100% filled to the top with sand, mud and dirt. He told me that when he bought the boat the engine sounded great and ran well. He had changed the oil and took it to the river. After a small amount of running he noticed that the oil pressure had dropped so he shut it off. The oil was totally black. My thoughts were that the oil temperature just went out of sight even though the engine seemed to run fine and was never over heated. I rebuilt the engine after cleaning out the block and adding a couple of valves so that he could drain it every time he got done at the river. It is still running and its never had a problem again.