www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 am 

It was so hot this weekend that even with the car under shade you'd burn your hands touching any of the tubes. Had to wear my gloves just to drive it, and I keep the whell stored under the dash. Track temp Friday @ 6PM - 157F. Don't know what it was Saturday, didn't care. 108F local air. Had decent lights Friday - .014, -.004, .008 so set another .01 in the trans brake button. Then could not hit anything on Saturday. Will keep trying. Rear end started puking fluid for some reason - not over full, actually looks about 1/2" down from optimal. Not sure what that was about, but it was bad and required a hosing of the left rear with brake clean after every pass. Two fan mounts broke, friend brought one of the lower radiator mounting studs by and dropped it off after 2nd round "Hey you left this on the starting line LOL" and the handle on the puke tank came off - thanks Moroso. Oh, and after filling the fresh water tank on the trailer, we got a boil water notice from the city so we carried two cases of water along with 40 gallons of bleach water for hand washing, etc. Unloaded the car Saturday so I didn't have to do it Sunday - good thing because the union fitting off the fuel take had come lose.

Other than that, it was just HTF. "Hotter than..."

One other - first pass Friday was in the left lane after a clean up. I learned what it's like to drive a hard tail with the tail end moving left and right in high gear. Like riding a floating telephone pole. Not fun. Wife not happy much either after seeing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:14 pm 

I havent been to the track in two weeks. Planning on going this sunday if it doesnt rain. And given the 15 day forecast has a minimum of 60% chance of rain every day, it's not looking real promising.
I did move the cam timing two degrees and put a new timing set in the motor. I decided to move the cam timing since I had a couple of weeks off and a lot of data on how it runs with the cam in at the original setting. When I pulled the timing cover off, the chain was wore out. It seems that cheap Jeg's set didnt last very long. The billet gears still look like new, but after maybe 100 passes, the chain was shot. I put a new Rollmaster set in it, advanced the cam 2*, and left everything else alone. I'm curious as to if it will actually change anything or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:28 pm 

Falcon67 wrote:
... 108F local air.

Dang dude, you can keep that. I've raced when it was hot, but I can honestly say I dont think I was ever at the track when it was over maybe 102 or 103. You can keep that kind of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 pm 

If we didnt also do work for the track, we'd have stayed home. We usually take pictures during time trials - not in this weather. Would trade a race fir rain in a second. Hope you catch a break. I run a Rollmaster and it a good part.

If I said "I think trying to leave at 2500 without being wide open is causing the coverter to react differntly dometimes." What would you say. I think i need to be more like 3000 and on the 2 step to get more consistent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
If we didnt also do work for the track, we'd have stayed home. We usually take pictures during time trials - not in this weather. Would trade a race fir rain in a second. Hope you catch a break. I run a Rollmaster and it a good part.

If I said "I think trying to leave at 2500 without being wide open is causing the coverter to react differntly dometimes." What would you say. I think i need to be more like 3000 and on the 2 step to get more consistent.

Since early early Sunday morning, we've had 1.8" of rain. That might not be a lot in the grand scheme of things, but when it's two tenths here, half an inch here, a tenth here, it never gives stuff a chance to dry out.

I would think that sounds totally plausible. I've never tried to leave with any of my motors that low so I cant say for certain, but I would guess it's probably doing something weird to the fuel pull down there which is affecting how the converter reacts when it finally goes wide open. But that's all just a guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 pm 

Thanks. Will step it up next TnT and see what. Noticed that the burnout goes better at 6800. Might have to try 7K to get some more wheel speed in the box. Hmmm - I thin the 7AL-3 has a burnout chip slot. Have to RTFM again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:54 am 

I skipped out on going to the track today. They were starting time runs at 9:30. That meant I was going to need to leave the house around 7 am to get there in time to unload and get ready. They were starting early because they have a bunch of special classes running as well as their normal bracket classes. 11 classes in total were going to run today. That meant it was going to be A LOT of sitting around and waiting between runs. I had no desire to do that.
Unfortunately tomorrow's forecast has bounced between 40-60% chance of afternoon t-storms all week, so it's not looking terribly promising.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:25 am 

Bummer. We used to do that once in a while - PITA waiting on a bunch of small classes. Used to mix in stuff like Top Quick, Mod Quick, etc. Now we just run the 5 and done. On a big $$$$ race there may be a couple of "shootout" type 16 or 32 car classes for the guys with big wallets. The race - always a Sunday - with the oodles of classes is the Texas Muscle Car Club Challenge race. I pulled cards and sorted team cars in the lanes during that race - dang what a workout.

Put new o-rings on the vacuum pump and fixing up a vent for the rear. It decided to puke fluid for some reason last race, probably heat related. Found another 14" fan in the parts pile. It's a hair thinner, a bit lighter, seems to move more air, only pulls another 1/2 amp (6A running) and bolts right up to the shroud. So that fixed the broken fan mount issue.

It's 81F and overcast right now, why the !@#$ can't we get that on a race day. Nice day to tinker on the car though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:03 pm 

The nice thing about the track that runs sunday, they only run 3 classes; Top, Footbrake, and jr dragsters. We start time runs at 12:15, get two time runs, first round only for buybacks, and they are usually done by 7 pm. They are saying they will make a decision by early Sunday morning at the latest as to whether they are going to run or not.
The track that is running today, well, they tend to drag their feet on a normal day, so I cant even imagine how they are going to get all this done before their curfew at midnight. Stock/Super Stock (they run against each other), Pro Tree Racers Association (and I think they run 4 classes), 4.90 index cars, plus the normal weekly classes (Top, Footbrake, Jrs, True Street, and High School.)

It's hot today, so sitting around all day waiting to run would have been miserable. Supposed to be 10* cooler tomorrow, now if we can just keep the rain away it will be perfect.

That's strange the rear end on yours started puking fluid. Hopefully it was just a heat issue, although it still seems weird it did that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 pm 

Don't know how you can stay focused on the tree when it's that hot and still be mighty consistent. The rear puking' gear oil is weird. Assuming the vent is clear, maybe run a hose nipple into the threads and add a short piece of rubber tubing tied straight up (ala' old Ford sedan/coupe setups)?

Falcon67 wrote:
It was so hot this weekend that even with the car under shade you'd burn your hands touching any of the tubes. Had to wear my gloves just to drive it, and I keep the whell stored under the dash. Track temp Friday @ 6PM - 157F. Don't know what it was Saturday, didn't care. 108F local air. Had decent lights Friday - .014, -.004, .008 so set another .01 in the trans brake button. Then could not hit anything on Saturday. Will keep trying. Rear end started puking fluid for some reason - not over full, actually looks about 1/2" down from optimal. Not sure what that was about, but it was bad and required a hosing of the left rear with brake clean after every pass. Two fan mounts broke, friend brought one of the lower radiator mounting studs by and dropped it off after 2nd round "Hey you left this on the starting line LOL" and the handle on the puke tank came off - thanks Moroso. Oh, and after filling the fresh water tank on the trailer, we got a boil water notice from the city so we carried two cases of water along with 40 gallons of bleach water for hand washing, etc. Unloaded the car Saturday so I didn't have to do it Sunday - good thing because the union fitting off the fuel take had come lose.

Other than that, it was just HTF. "Hotter than..."

One other - first pass Friday was in the left lane after a clean up. I learned what it's like to drive a hard tail with the tail end moving left and right in high gear. Like riding a floating telephone pole. Not fun. Wife not happy much either after seeing it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next