www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:02 pm 

Gday,
Far out 122 grains of water is up there!☺

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:30 pm 

I have that site linked from our track home page, very handy. It's what I use during a race but it only updates every hour or so. Not that makes much difference.

For reference, the starting line at the track is 1719' MSL. LOL so right now we walking around higher than Denver. Look at the change in grains, dew point since this AM - about 5 hours. Summer dials are a crap shoot :)

temperature = 105.8 deg f
relative humidity = 22%
uncorrected barometer* = 27.99 inHg
corrected barometer* = 29.78 inHg
density altitude = 5690.15 ft
dew point = 59deg f
saturation pressure = 2.299 inHg
vapor pressure = 0.506 inHg
grains = 80.1
air density (w/o water vapor) = 86%
air density (w water vapor) = 84%

tuffxf wrote:
Gday,
Far out 122 grains of water is up there!☺

Sprinkles over the weekend so a bit more humid than maybe normal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:17 pm 

The track closest to my house current stats at 6:00 pm;

temperature = 99.8 deg f
relative humidity = 48%
uncorrected barometer* = 29.22 inHg
corrected barometer* = 30.01 inHg
density altitude = 4366.40 ft
dew point = 77deg f
saturation pressure = 1.923 inHg
vapor pressure = 0.923 inHg
grains = 142.0
air density (w/o water vapor) = 91%
air density (w water vapor) = 88%

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 pm 

Last night - Rigged up a hose, put about 10 psi in the motor last night - sounds like a leak under the intake, coming from the valley cover. Figures.

The dragster has some older riveted solid center Centerline front runners. One leaks pretty bad. Tried to use some 2.25x17 motorcycle tubes but because the air valve comes out the side of the rim and not straight up the tube would blow out when airing up. Got mad last night, took that tire off, scrubbed the valley inside the rim with a wire brush and brake clean then proceeded to pump half a tube of GE silicone around the inside middle. It should set up by today, that should at least slow the leak down. Was losing 3~5 PSI per round on the rim. You know you have a "special problem" with a wheel when you throw it in the pool and air bubbles come out from between the bearing races.

I'd buy some new billet rims but - cost around $1400, winnings for 2018 about $75. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:15 pm 

I think that should slow the leak down a fair amount.
I have a front runner that leaks a little, but nothing like what yours was doing. It will lose 4 or 5 pounds in a week, not per pass.
Our forecast for Friday looks pretty crappy right now. I'm hoping it changes, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:42 pm 

Friday is looking like it will be a washout. Forecast is 60% chance during the day, then 90% chance of t-storms developing late afternoon. I really figure they will get time runs in, maybe a couple of rounds, then get rained out. However, saturday is supposed to be 10* cooler and only a 20% chance of rain (and in the summer, there is always a 20% chance around here.)
So at this time I have changed plans and am going to go on saturday. The lower chance of rain and that projected high of 78* appeals to me. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 am 

So possibly two "victories" over the holiday.

1) Tire is holding air. It better with half a tube of caulk in it LOL. Looks like 1.5 oz will be required to balance. That would seem like a lot but the other wheel needed 1.25.

2) Three tries on the vacuum leack, 3rd may be the charm. Pulled the cover, no silicone stuck to the cover, just the block. Cleaned that up and tried again using The Right Stuff. Should "set up in 5 minutes. Assemble and return to service." OK, fine. Ran the beads on the ends, put the cover on, ran some beads down the side, gave a finger wipe to smooth. Went and did other things - 3 hours later, fail. Leaked as bad or worse from the ends and the thin coat for sealing to the heads didn't even set up. Scraped it all off like wet putty. #3 - used some dense material to make a couple of thin gaskets for the end rails. Tapped the middle hole in the rails for another screw. Used black RTV on the gaskets and ran a regular bead of silicone down the sides. Let it set up overnight. Tested quick this AM by pumping 10 PSI into the motor, only air exfiltration appears to be around ring gaps where valves are open.

Will throw the intake back on and test tonight. Maybe....

AND - forecast for Friday is now 40% rain, Saturday is 30%. Or 1st grandson is a senior this year. "Friday Night Lights" fire up in 59 days, so we either successfully test and start running before then or the dragster gets to sit over winter. Hate hauling the heavy Falcon to Dallas but at least that one runs LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:16 pm 

I'm glad I didnt go today. Not only did they get rained out when they got down to 7 cars, but they only had 31 cars shows up. That means the purse was cut, heavily. So much so, they just paid back 100% of the entry fees they had gotten, and the track kept the buyback money. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

That does sound like good progress Chris. Why is the intake such a hassle? Is it because of the vacuum pump pulling a vacuum on the crankcase?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:08 pm 

They still didnt have any where close to enough cars. There may have been 60 cars on the property.
My car ran ok, but the driver just cant cut a light anymore. I know the prescription in my glasses isnt correct, and I'm starting to wonder how much that is messing with me.
I lost third round. Time runs the car went 6.274, then 6.286. I really figured it was going to go 6.28 when I unloaded it. First round it went 6.285 on a 6.28. Second round it went 6.288 on a 6.28. Third round, once I got strapped in, I started thinking "I bet this thing is gonna go 29." Too late to do anything about it then. I was .027, the guy in the other lane was .016, he went 4.790 on a 4.79, and mine slowed to a 6.298. Even if I would have dialed a 6.29, I would have just lost by less.
It's two weeks now before anyone is racing again. I'm going to call my eye dr Monday and see how soon she can see me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:49 am 

Rob, do you have a practice tree?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next