www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:57 pm 

It has a Reid case, Reid bellhousing, FTI pump, BTE straight cut 1.80 gear set, and that fancy servo I linked to above. The brake sets instantly and solid now, plus now it shifts harder than any other 'glide I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 am 

Excellent - wasn't sure. I run a stock case which should be good for a while anyway. May get an FTI or some such later if I over work this one. Should not have any issues with the setup you have now for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:06 pm 

When that last set of stock 1.76 planetaries broke, it took out the stock case. I decided at that time I was done running stock planetaries. Then I figured if I was going to drop a grand on a new gear set, I may as well splurge and buy a good case to put it all in. It snowballed like mad from there. But, at my power level this transmission should last a really long time now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:11 am 

>snowballed like mad from there

Like that never happens...

I have a decent unit, it was built for the track owners Funny Car with a blown alcohol motor. It has IIRC 8 high gear clutches and a few tweaks. At 600HP or less, should be good for a while. I drained the fluid after last year when I tore the dragster down and the fluid was nice and clean, nothing on the mag drain plug. PS - motor is back in, trans in, spend last nigth shimming the front motor saddles to get the couple to mate just right. Waiting now on some fittings to complete the fuel system - seems back in October I ordered -12 instead of -10. ID-10-T error. Should have all the wires hooked up in a day or so, maybe get to light it off this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:08 am 

Yesterday did NOT go well. The heat index hovered right around 100* so it wasnt real pleasant to be outside in the first place. I know it's hotter in other places, but that's in the "miserable" range for here.
First time run it went 6.369 and I was .012. Second time run it went 6.354 and I was .004. We can live with that. For first round I dialed 6.35, got lined up with a bad dude, missed the tree like a big dog and managed to whack the bump down one time that at least put me in the game, and it went 6.380 with a .028 bulb. I lost on a .008 MOV (I'm not convinced he wasnt backing in to me at the stripe though). I bought back, dialed it 6.37, and it went 6.363 whacking it one time at the stripe where I proceeded to not only give it back .0003, but broke out .006 to his .004 (I was .022 to his .019). Half track showed it would have gone a mid 6.35 wide open. The car count was low so they had first AND second round buybacks. I usually refuse to buyback twice, but I kept thinking my luck has to get better so I bought back a second time. I dialed it 6.35 for third round and knew I needed to focus at the line. The guy I was racing wins a fair amount, and when we chatted a head of time and talked about how the ETs were moving around, I pointed to the dial on my window and said "and this dumb thing is probably gonna go a 38". And I'll be damned if it didnt. It went 6.384, and I had a .0003 (yes their timing system carries out four digits) bulb to his .019. What the hell!?!?!?!?!?! Last week the dumb thing ran dead on the three rounds I managed to run, and this week it wouldnt run the same number back to back to save it's freakin life. If the air had been moving around, I could understand the et moving, but the air was not moving around. My only guess is it was all in track heat as there were some clouds in the sky, and the track would go from full in the sun to being clouded, back to full sun.
We have a ten grander next weekend, and I sure hope the car gets back to normal and is at least a little bit predictable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:12 pm 

Gday Rob,
You got some pictures of your run data and weather data from the weekend?
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 am 

It's the weather - Just as hot here, we just have to deal with it until end of October LOL. And I've seen it 90+ at the Thanksgiving race, and it being canceled by an ice storm. Last race even the methanol cars were moving around the dial. Not sure about your DA but here 5000+ isn't unusual. We've been known to spray the track with methanol to cool it down a bit and rejuvenate the traction compound. Also not unusual for a spray and drag after 4th round to keep the top end from getting skittish.

1st AND 2nd buyback is pretty unusual. We do 1st OR 2nd not both but or car counts stay decent even in summer. Since we (wife and I) keep the track data in an offline database we've done a few studies in the past. Buyback rate is 100% or nearly that 1st round. 2nd is about 25ish% meaning that the buybacks either make it past 2nd round or some folks just have a bad day (and who hasn't had those days). Buybacks are good money for the track - and having seen a lot of track finances, cash is needed to keep those gates open. Hosting us grumpy bracket racers ain't cheap. One thing that helps our counts is that Sterling guarantees the pot without regard to car count. We pay what we say.

Some success this weekend - got the motor in the dragster running. Seems I have one home brew carb that is just a $$$ pile of junk. It is set up same as the other but it burbles and sounds like it loads up. I pulled the 750 DP frakencarb off the Falcon and the motor sounds a lot cleaner. Got the timing set at 28 and the rotor phased. The crank trigger deal is nice. One dimple on the bracket is about 2 degrees. Oil is clean after some run time. Dawned on me this morning that I ran the motor off and on Saturday and Sunday and never once looked at the oil pressure gauge. Well then.

Vacuum - zero. If I had been smart, I would have blown some air through the motor on the stand to check seal. First time around fumble. Will have to pull the intake and put some air in the motor to see where it's leaking. I can hear a squeal with the pump running and of course it sounds like it's coming from under the intake. Figures. Pull a line off and the squeal stops. Feels like the pump is working so evac might be at least as good or better than the header setup even with no reading on the gauge. I know for sure the motor wasn't anywhere near sealed last year when using the header evacs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 am 

Normally they do first or second round, or if the count is good, it's just first round buybacks. But with it being hot, and several other local tracks running specials, the count was down this week. Plus I know for a fact several folks went on vacation a week early so they could be back in time for this upcoming weekend's triple 10K races. I think they had 45 or so cars in Top this past weekend. Normally they get somewhere around 70-75 on a normal weekend.
Given our actual altitude is 780 feet above sea level, when it gets over 3000 corrected, that's pretty bad. And saturday, it was 3300 most of the day.

Paul, I'll get a pic of my log book later today. Since the air wasnt moving around, I stopped logging everything except dew point after first round.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:28 pm 

LOL, 45 Top would be a great day here. We run in the 30s for Mod, same for Top. Lots of us older types have sworn off racing in the heat. We can't/don't back off because we have to be there until close of business every race anyway to download data and back up the computer.

This time of year we start out more than your bad air days. Penwell even worse.

Right now this minute -
temperature = 96.6 deg f
relative humidity = 44%
uncorrected barometer* = 28.07 inHg
corrected barometer* = 29.87 inHg
density altitude = 5363.27 ft
dew point = 71deg f
saturation pressure = 1.745 inHg
vapor pressure = 0.768 inHg
grains = 122.4
air density (w/o water vapor) = 88%
air density (w water vapor) = 85%

https://airdensityonline.com/track-resu ... _Race_Way/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:01 pm 

Disclaimer, that is according my weather station.
That site you linked shows Farmington is currently at 3590 right now. Given your climate is generally hotter than ours, its not surprising your corrected DA is worse.
I need to bookmark that page though, that could be real handy.

Edit, I just looked at the other two tracks I run, and both of them are over 4100 right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next