www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm 

It runs, had one little leak around the pan gasket when it first started, but it stopped after it run a couple of minutes.
Everything works; transbrake, low gear, high gear, reverse and park. Now to change the oil, clean it up a little, and it will be ready to go for next saturday.
Once I looked at it before I started it today, I decided I didnt like the way the started was clocked. I pulled it off, reclocked it, then had to fool around until I found a route that I "didnt hate" for the starter cable.
Once done with that, I ran to town to pick up some oil and a filter, got home, dropped the stuff off by the car, poked my head underneath just to check on any leaks, and there's a big ole puddle of transmission fluid under it. Sonofa.....
It was leaking around the fill tube. My better half's brother (the racer, transmission builder, and the one who I borrowed a starter from twice) gave me this really cool grommet to use in the case instead of an O ring on the tube, but I could not for the life of me get the fill tube in to that grommet no matter how much I greased it up or how hard I pushed. So I pulled it out, stuck an O ring on the tube, and even then it didnt want to go in. I literally had to smack it with a hammer to get it in to place. That must not have been too good on the O ring. LOL
Anyways, I RTV'ed the hell out of it, and it doesnt appear to be leaking now. I will say this, so far I am digging that new starter. Man that thing spins over better than it ever has.

Oh, and there is a race next weekend. A fellow cleveland freak and buddy of mine (anyone remember Tater from the other forums?) pointed it out to me. He's gonna be there with a buddy of his, so I'm gonna do my damnedest to get there as well so I can finally meet him.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 am 

DaveMcLain wrote:
Early falcon before '64 is quite different and VERY light. We built a race car out of one of those about 25 years ago and as a driver before we started on the project and with a bunch of extra crap(wheels and tires) in the trunk it weighed 2450lbs.

Yes, those are really light cars. If I ever got to do another, I'd probably pick a 64-65 "Dick Brannan" style and put a tube chassis under it.

Car did well this weekend, not so the driver. It's real consistent - dialed 7.61 for three rounds. Muffed the light in the 3rd and they gave back the stripe .014 so not the smartest driver on Saturday. Did have to pull the starter - that !@#$%# Powermaster keeps backing off the bitty flat head screws that lock the face to the body and letting the body come loose, even with lots of Loctite. Oh, and they are metric and no metric allen wrenches in the tool box, so had to make do. A full set of English/Metric Elkind is on the way to stock the trailer tool box.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 pm 

Still leaking.
Damned 800 dollar aftermarket case and it still uses the junk-ass factory press in fill tube.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 pm 

WTF

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 am 

Try this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm 

Pyramid Seal :lol: Not. Probably don't even make that magic radiator powder anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:41 pm 

I'm not sure, but it may be stopped. Maybe.
Wont matter for this weekend anyways as the forecast for saturday is 90% chance of thunderstorms.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:48 am 

That sucks. Not racing here this weekend but the f-cast is 100F so that's fine with me. Next points race is on 6/2, f-cast not much better. This weekend I'll be in the pool or in the shop with the AC on full blast.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 am 

Actually got time to work on the dragster motor over the weekend. Got the front dress figured out. The LOL is I bought several -12 90s and straight ends for the vacuum pump hookups. Of course, where the pump landed, I need a 45. I made a new valley cover out of .125 aluminum that I fitted real snug. It still has a bit of flex so I'll run a piece of angle down the middle of the underside. The idea would be to seal that with RTV against the vacuum. Then I have to decide where to drill on my NOS black wrinkle M/T valve covers for the pump intake port.

Attachments:
A_FrontDress.jpg
A_FrontDress.jpg [ 135.64 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]
A_ValleyCover.jpg
A_ValleyCover.jpg [ 237.72 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

Last edited by Falcon67 on Tue May 29, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:59 pm 

That looks good.

Right now, depending on what forecast you look at, they are calling for anywhere from 80% chance of t-storms to 100% chance on saturday. Looks like another washout already. I might get to run this thing again this year. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next