www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:31 pm 

It cups them like hell.
It has Transforce on it now, but they only have about 5k miles on them, so the jury is still out.
Like I said, I know a bunch of guys with diesels in those trucks and they kill front tires. My buddy who had the '03 bought expensive tires for his, and he got 12-15k out of them. I was putting cheapo's on it and getting 10-12k. The last go round it needed all six, so I sprung for some better tires in the hopes they would last longer. We'll see.
At the rate I've been driving it, they will last almost forever. I only put 4k miles on it in the last 3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 am 

We bought the 1993 F350 from a couple in early 2016. They had driven it maybe 300 miles the previous year. We put maybe 1000+ on it a year towing. It needs bushings in the I-beam control arms to tighten up the steering. Thinking about just paying someone to do it because I don't have time. It wanders a bit but not bad if loaded right. I can see how these could cup front tires, ours even looks a bit pigeon toed when loaded up. If they last 10K then we've got 10 years LOL.

On a side note about racing - already missed one points race because the t-ram setup on the Falcon went south again. Pulled it for the backup air gap & 4777-2 setup. Got that done Saturday. Went to load the car Sunday - no crank. Put the red top on a 40A 30 minute boost and it would not hardly spin the fuel pump. The OTC tester says its "good' but it won't even engage the starter. Acts like a dead cell even though it tests at 12V on the OTC load tester. $230 battery dated 2014. Going to Sams and getting a house brand AGM with a 3 yr warranty, no more Optima. Just another $180 bucks, what the hell. And the 110 barrel ran dry, crp. May have to nurse along on $9.50/gallon fuel until I can get the dragster up on methanol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am 

The twin I beam setups can wear funny due to the design and age=worn parts.

But his 04 has a solid front axle and, if everything is tight and in good shape, shouldn't cup front tires. I've fixed numerous alignment issues where dealers, other shops, etc, said it was within "spec" but still ruined tires. You have to read how they're wearing and adjust the tires accordingly, even if it takes the alignment "out of spec".

The only time where I've thrown in the towel on cupping is with mastercraft courser AT tires. No amount of changes would get that junk to wear right. The only solution for those seems to be constant tire rotations from front to rear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm 

I've honestly never had the truck aligned. Prior to this set of tires, it was being driven more without anything hitched to it, than with. But now, it is used almost exclusively for towing, so there might be something gained if I had it aligned with that taken in to account. Right now though, I think my first concern with it is getting the EGR delete done, and maybe getting the turbo R&R'ed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 am 

Even if you drive only a few miles, the 1000's you spend on tires every couple years costs more then a good alignment. Just make sure it's done by somebody who understands what they're doing, understands what causes cupping, and how to correct it.

However, I'd definitely take care of the engine stuff first. Neglect that and the whole rig is worthless, and you won't have to worry about tire wear anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 am 

Moved the heavy car up to almost touching the tool box which put the motor over the front trailer axle - no towing problems this week.

It's only a 302 but did well after pulling the tunnel ram (again) and putting the Air Gap, 2" spacer and 650DP back on it. 8.11, 8.11, 8.15, 8.11, 8.11, 8.11, 8.103 break out on the brakes at 5 cars. Dang it. Slow sucks, but racin' is racin'. Last 5 cars I was in - one dialed 6.13, the others in the 5s. Guy I ran was 5.45. Was .010 on the tree and covered him by .04 at the finish. Car picked up .01 in the 60' and .02 in the 330, did not expect that at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 am 

Chris, that is about the text book definition of consistency there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

Man that car is awesome☺

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:25 pm 

Holy crap, the racing budget just took a hit for the year.
My dually is a 2004 with the infamous 6.0. It's bone stock, 82K miles or so, and been pretty reliable so far, especially as 6.0's are concerned.
The turbo is coked up and needs R&R'ed. As it sits, at times it doesnt have enough power to pull away from a stop sign with the single car trailer, so the tandem car trailer would get me run over.
The truck really needs the EGR delete done to prevent future issues as well since those are the biggest issue with the truck. And while I'm at it, I figured I would get the head gaskets and done along with studs put in to eliminate the possibility of it pushing a gasket out (another thing they are notorious for doing.)
Well folks, that crap aint cheap. I called around today and the two best shops in the area priced me $5500 and $6000. The higher shop actually includes more and is the one I will probably go with.
Good lord, 6 grand is a lot of money, but I cant afford a new truck. So I gotta do what I gotta do to make this one as reliable as possible for future use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:10 am 

That just sucks, no better word for it. One of the reasons I prefer gas - at least I can entertain the thought of fixing it LOL. But yes - all you need to do is sneak onto a deal lot on a late Sunday night and look at the window stickers.

>So I gotta do what I gotta do to make this one as reliable as possible for future use.
Exactly, no question. "Get it done right, sleep at night"

I don't see owning a new truck in whatever life God grants me, it's just too much $$$$$. Will still buy Lotto tickets once in a while anyway, ya never know :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 32  Next