www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 am 

Steve.k wrote:
I hear ya Dave. When i went through this on last engine i phoned scott main and comp. Both tecs advice was use bronze. In fact the comp guy suggested bronze even on hyd flat tappet. If its a high mile engine may just have to replace.

And that is exactly what I find to be irritating about the whole issue; its a crapshoot. You have a guy like Brent who's got a customer with thousands of miles on a gear with no problems. In fact I know a guy who put 25,000 miles on a 521 big Ford using a steel core cam and a Pro Comp distributor and gear after which both looked perfect. Then you have this guy in this thread that didn't run it much at all and its totaled! At least with the bronze you can be fairly confident that if it is going to wear out at least it'll only be wearing out the gear not the cam.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:32 am 

>There's a lot of mystery when it comes to materials compatibility, wear and lubrication, tribology that I don't understand.

This. I used to work for a company that was heavy with mechanical and electrical engineers. Lot of detail in parts, shafts, gears and such that ran against each other. Rockwell hardness, pitch diameters, mesh depth, coatings sometime when dissimilar metal had to run against each other, etc.

My bet here after all the input - Thanks!!! - is probably the gear was just a bad part in the batch. Maybe imported, maybe not. Damage done, fix and move on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm 

Just pulled the distributor out of my 354C and the bottom face of the gear looks like the gear came straight out of the package. No discoloration or wear. Gear teeth look great. Now granted, this engine is basically new with about 15 dyno pulls on it, but I can't imagine anything changing, especially to the bottom thrust face of the gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm 

blykins wrote:
Just pulled the distributor out of my 354C and the bottom face of the gear looks like the gear came straight out of the package. No discoloration or wear. Gear teeth look great. Now granted, this engine is basically new with about 15 dyno pulls on it, but I can't imagine anything changing, especially to the bottom thrust face of the gear.

That's what I thought too when I looked at the gear after about 60 pulls and a couple of hours of run time on my dyno.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:44 pm 

Could have been a fluke. Why would it change? There's no harder load on an engine than an engine dyno. I could see a cam thrust plate going away and then causing some issues.

But as many gears that are made, there's gonna be a bell curve and there will be some stinkers...as with anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm 

blykins wrote:
Could have been a fluke. Why would it change? There's no harder load on an engine than an engine dyno. I could see a cam thrust plate going away and then causing some issues.

But as many gears that are made, there's gonna be a bell curve and there will be some stinkers...as with anything else.

I know, I don't understand it either. Thrust plate etc was fine when it was taken back apart after about 3500 miles. If it lasted through the dyno work why would it decide to screw up unless the heat treat was only skin deep(most likely). It didn't run for minutes or hours but quite a few miles over a couple of years... But how do you tell? One day it just stopped.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 pm 

I took look again at the gear that came off the MSD. It's been in a few engines, last time in the 2010 351C that made around 500 HP and lasted all of two seasons. I'll post a pic later - some of the teeth on that cast gear look mighty thin. I also have to pull the dist in the Mustang to put on a new intake - will report back on that one - it's a Ford unit. AND - need to find the MSD that usd to be in that motor before some teeth broke off the reluctor and look at that gear too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
I took look again at the gear that came off the MSD. It's been in a few engines, last time in the 2010 351C that made around 500 HP and lasted all of two seasons. I'll post a pic later - some of the teeth on that cast gear look mighty thin. I also have to pull the dist in the Mustang to put on a new intake - will report back on that one - it's a Ford unit. AND - need to find the MSD that usd to be in that motor before some teeth broke off the reluctor and look at that gear too.

The MSD, Pertronix and other cast gears have also been low quality for some time. Last year I had an Olds 350 come through and it had a Pertronix HEI distributor which had only been run a few hundred miles. The gear looked like crap so I dug around and found one on an old GM distributor probably from the '70's that looked great. I hot tanked it and put it on the Pertronix, so far so good. From what I've seen at least they don't seem to trash the cam.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 pm 

Must be since ford went away from distributer style ign the main supplier quit. The ones I've seen on msd are of less quality.Tim Meyer has a gear selection for his new style duraspark distributer. I'll have to ask who he used!unfornatley the msd uses a bigger shaft than old duraspark.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 pm 

MSD shaft is .531

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next