www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:07 pm 

I know. I had a friend that was curious about the springs. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:15 am 

All finished up!

Coupe's 4V on the left and Jonathan Borg's 2V on the right....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 am 

Thanks Brent, it was a pleasure working with you on this build.
I wouldn't hesitate doing another one with you if the need arises.
Can't wait to get it back up and running.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:27 pm 

Well, tried to fit the intake manifold today and it has a huge gap at the china walls. The gasket is a MR Gasket 214. I guess I have to cut the intake.
Without the gasket it measured .176 rear .193 front.

With the gasket it ~ .31

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:27 am 

Don't cut the intake unless the ports don't line up.

The first priority in intake fitment is that the intake's angles have to be correct.....i.e. the flanges have to be the correct angle and flat/straight so that there's no chance of pulling in oil from the lifter valley. I have a BHJ fixture that I lay on the intake manifolds to make sure the angles are correct.

The second priority, and actually just as important as the first priority, is that the intake ports line up to the head ports. If the intake manifold needs to be shifted fore/aft to get the port walls centered, then do that. If you look down the intake plenum and you see the cylinder head flange, then something needs to be changed. The roofs of the intake and cylinder head ports need to match.

The very last priority, and it's not even a priority, is china wall gaps. They are inconsequential to anything. If you have to lay a thicker bead of silicone down to make up the gap, then that's what you do. Trust me, after 15 years of building engines, a 5/16" gap doesn't even make me look twice.

Toss the cork/rubber china wall gaskets in the trash. They are not good for anything except factory combinations where the dimensions are pretty close to the same as they were when the engine was new.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 pm 

coupe3w

What intake are you having this issue with? Why is it not lining up, because the block was squared and decked?

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm 

He's running a Strip Dominator.

It's actually not a problem, it just doesn't look like how the factory did it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:15 pm 

Do exactly what Brent states below as who cares about the China wall gap. In some builds, folks will build some simple aluminum wall "extenders" out of square stock to take up most of the gap. Drill and tap say 3 holes in the block's China wall, countersink a few machine screws to hold e'm down (silicone, Right Stuff, et al, on both sides) and away you go. I'd not even bother here unless the gap is wider than yours.

blykins wrote:
Don't cut the intake unless the ports don't line up.

The first priority in intake fitment is that the intake's angles have to be correct.....i.e. the flanges have to be the correct angle and flat/straight so that there's no chance of pulling in oil from the lifter valley. I have a BHJ fixture that I lay on the intake manifolds to make sure the angles are correct.

The second priority, and actually just as important as the first priority, is that the intake ports line up to the head ports. If the intake manifold needs to be shifted fore/aft to get the port walls centered, then do that. If you look down the intake plenum and you see the cylinder head flange, then something needs to be changed. The roofs of the intake and cylinder head ports need to match.

The very last priority, and it's not even a priority, is china wall gaps. They are inconsequential to anything. If you have to lay a thicker bead of silicone down to make up the gap, then that's what you do. Trust me, after 15 years of building engines, a 5/16" gap doesn't even make me look twice.

Toss the cork/rubber china wall gaskets in the trash. They are not good for anything except factory combinations where the dimensions are pretty close to the same as they were when the engine was new.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6